The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Parrot Mouth? Opinions please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/parrot-mouth-opinions-please-159625/)

DrumRunner 03-22-2013 03:02 AM

Parrot Mouth? Opinions please!

The title pretty much sums it up.. I don't have much experience with a parrot mouth so I'm just trying to hear different opinions and stories if anyone has owned a PM? I'm looking at a 3 yr old that has a slight PM and besides that he has absolutely everything I'm looking for in a prospect... So, fire away!

Thanks in advance! :wink:

Clava 03-22-2013 06:06 AM

We had an ex-racer who was very parrot mouthed, she was fine apart from that, but I would worry about her maintaining weight as she got older (she was sold so I don't know what happened to her).

If only slight,I wouldn't be concerned. Can the horse graze? I assume you don't want to show?

Speed Racer 03-22-2013 09:36 AM

Drum, JJ has a parrot mouth. Except for him needing his teeth done more often than the other horses and dropping some feed, I haven't found where it's an issue. He eats hay fine and keeps up his weight with what I'm feeding him, so I'd say if that's the only issue you have with this horse there's no reason to pass him by.

Muppetgirl 03-22-2013 09:39 AM

I've never seen anyone have really big issues with slight parrot-mouthed horses:)

Faceman 03-22-2013 10:15 AM

A slight parrot mouth is not an issue except for breeding purposes. Be sure to look at the teeth, though. Many people mistake a large or overhanging upper lip for parrot mouth, but you have to look in the mouth to make the actual determination...

DrumRunner 03-22-2013 10:43 AM

Thank y'all, he's definitely a parrot mouth, his top teeth are slightly over his bottom, enough to be noticeable.. I'm definitely not interested in breeding him, he has an appointment next week to be gelded, I have no idea why he hasn't been gelded already. He doesn't have a problem grazing and keeps weight fine.

I would be showing him, I'm looking to have a prospect for barrels. Would his mouth hinder him from competition?

Speed Racer 03-22-2013 10:55 AM

His mouth shouldn't hinder him from doing anything competition wise, Drum.

maura 03-22-2013 11:14 AM

If you look at the big bay TB event horse in my photos; he was moderately parrot mouthed.

The issue for him was not being able to graze effectively, so he needed extra hay and concentrates to make up for it.

When my circumstances changed, and all I could afford was self care pasture board, I was very worried that I wouldn't be able to keep weight on him. Surprisingly, the place I boarded him didn't mow pastures and they were under-grazed, so the grass was longer and he did just fine.

So if you expect a parrot mouthed horse to get any nutrition out of pasture, the pasture has to long enough for them to be able to tear the grass.

That's about it, except of course regular teeth floating is an absolute necessity.

Faceman 03-22-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1989873)
His mouth shouldn't hinder him from doing anything competition wise, Drum.

It could actually help him roll peanuts...:rofl:

DrumRunner 03-22-2013 02:09 PM

Maura, we have 17 acres of turn out separated in halves that we alternate sides so the grazing stays at a good length. I usually now about every 6 weeks spring-fall because it grows quickly. I don't cut it short though, just enough to keep it from getting out of hand. Just a rough across with a bush hog.. So far he hasn't had a problem grazing so we'll see.. I'm going to try to get a few pictures today and a couple conformation shots that I'll post..

Lol face, I don't have any need got a peanut roller at my place.
Posted via Mobile Device