The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Several Videos, getting the old fella back running (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/several-videos-getting-old-fella-back-159953/)

AriatChick772 03-22-2013 02:03 PM

Several Videos, getting the old fella back running

This is a jam up little horse, he's only 15 but I still call him an old man. He's been a grouch since he was a baby lol. Love him to death. He only ran at a few barrel races last year and was the main horse for my lesson program, the times he did run was with a 9 year old and he took such good care of her. He barely loped them no matter how much kicking she did. He's a saint.

I decided he's going to get used this year so we are putting him back to work but keeping him sane with a ton of trail rides and of course, little kids climbing all over him. I'll work him on barrels and right after a run, this 6 year old will climb up on him and he won't get out of a walk.. again, he's a saint.

Here are a few from recently. I have only pushed him SLIGHTLY one time just to see if I could find any holes. Excuse the neighbors place, it's right next to the arena I ride in lol.

Here we go:

He loves to sling out around the back of second barrel, I tried re-wiring his brain a while back but found he really does turn it best that way. Third barrel COMPLETELY my fault, I tried to drive him to it with both legs when all I really needed to do was bump with inside leg.

Same day (After crashing third):

Slowed him down a little bit, third barrel was very wide and exaggerated (on purpose). Just easing through the pattern.

Most recent

Just easing through it:

This is the same day, I asked for a little speed. Only encouragement from my leg. He's got about 3 more gears but I'm not asking for them for a while. He probably won't see barrels again for a few weeks... just legging up and trails to get him back into running condition and not spoiled pasture pet condition.

I REALLY need to work on keeping my hands low coming out of the turn. I have the WORST habit for some unknown reason of having my arm up so high. I'll have that fixed in no time now that I see how bad it actually is.

If you see anything that would be helpful, I will gladly read your suggestions. :D

QHriderKE 03-22-2013 03:57 PM

I love the way he turns for some reason... Completely different from how my train-engine turns LOL

Annanoel 03-22-2013 04:11 PM

I do too! He does turn a little different than my boys as well, but it seems to suit him! Love the videos.

AriatChick772 03-22-2013 06:26 PM

Thanks! I'll have to get videos of the other horses soon! His turns look so smooth on camera but he'll about leave your butt sitting there if you get behind even a little. I can't wait to actually push him and see how it goes!
Posted via Mobile Device

cowgirl4753 03-22-2013 09:05 PM

Hey off topic question, how did you load your videos, I'm having a heck of a time figuring it out