The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   full mustang?? or no?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/full-mustang-no-159977/)

BreannaMarie 03-22-2013 04:07 PM

full mustang?? or no??

6 Attachment(s)
I got this mare from some guy who didn't want her because of her additude, she was mean and hateful, unbroken, no manners, and just down right wild/crazy. I worked with her a lot and am now able to ride her but still working on fixing some issues. In my opinion she looks mustang and her additude agrees. what do ya'll say she looks like?? it doesn't matter im just curious.

Dustbunny 03-22-2013 04:29 PM

I don't believe a mustang is a breed. Over the decades the breeding has been such a mix of old blood and more modern domestic breeds. Some are small, some large, all sorts of color patterns...I think of them as a mixed breed off the range. It's not that you can look at them and tell what they are because their characteristics are so varied (unless you have an isolated population that breeds to a standard more like the Kigers).
So, Mustang? Don't know...anybody's guess.

GamingGrrl 03-22-2013 05:28 PM

Her head looks a lot different from the typical mustang head. That and her hindquarters make me think that she looks like a Quarter Horse cross. She also has a lighter bone than the typical mustang.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 03-22-2013 05:34 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Looks like a QH to me. Good job on fixin her up!

BarrelracingArabian 03-22-2013 05:50 PM

I agree with quarter horse. Mustangs vary from size, color, attitude etc. I have met downright nasty ones and ive met sweethearts. My first 2 horses were mustangs. Any horse can be wild/ nasty if not handled or handled incorrectly.

hobbyhorse 03-22-2013 07:56 PM

I believe if she were a true mustang, she would be branded on the neck. Regardless,
you are doing a great job with her.

Roperchick 03-22-2013 08:06 PM

Are you thinking two domesticated mustangs making this girl? She definitely looks QH cross to me and if she were a stang off the range she would be branded

DraftyAiresMum 03-22-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyhorse (Post 1996033)
I believe if she were a true mustang, she would be branded on the neck.

Not necessarily. The only way she'd be branded would be if she came straight off the range in one of the roundups. If she was born in captivity (after her dam was rounded up), she wouldn't be branded.

She honestly looks either full QH to me or maybe even quarab (QH/Arab).
Posted via Mobile Device

Breezy2011 03-22-2013 08:24 PM

She looks almost identical to a horse at the farm where I board Breeze, colour and markings... and he is mustang x quarter horse.

hobbyhorse 03-22-2013 11:38 PM

Drafty-So the BLM does not brand the foals born in their holding facilities before they are adopted out?