The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help with leaning during canter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-leaning-during-canter-160073/)

Sharond 03-22-2013 06:20 PM

Help with leaning during canter

Hi, I need help with an on-going problem. My horse canters to the left very balanced but when he canters to the right, he leans to the right, feeling like what a motorcycle would feel like in a turn. He has been checked by a vet, no lame or soreness issues. He does this with other, more experienced riders. I don't know what to do to get him better balanced. I've tried using my inside leg to push him over, I've tried turning him in the opposite direction to bring his right side up. Part of the problem is inconsistent riding and now that the weather is getting better, I think should be my Spring project :)

Help, what do I do to correct this? And please be specific!! Thanks!

Jensride 03-22-2013 08:42 PM

Have you tried lifting his right shoulder by picking up right rein while you add right leg? Also mabey make sure teeth are good....and chiropractic visit may help too:)

Sharond 03-23-2013 01:50 PM

Yes, I've tried lifting the rein and pushing him with my leg, but he still leans inside the circle. I feel myself really stepping into the left stirrup because he feels so unbalanced. Had his teeth floated last year and the dentist sees him on Wed, but I really don't think it's his teeth. Chiro has caked him out, even did some acupuncture, no change. Any other suggestions or am I forever gonna only circle to the left at the canter?!

barrelbeginner 03-23-2013 01:53 PM

My horse does the exact same thing! Subbing!

GamingGrrl 03-23-2013 02:05 PM

He sounds unbalanced. Horses have a side they are more balanced on and prefer (kind of like being left or right handed). Have you done any spiral exercises at the canter? Those might be helpful. Canter a circle and gradually bring it in until you feel your horse struggle, then push the size out again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jensride 03-23-2013 02:08 PM

Agree- spiral exercise be good!

Sharond 03-23-2013 04:11 PM

Ok, spiraling will be on the agenda! Thanks for the suggestion....since I have frequent bouts of vertigo, this should be interesting! Lol! Thanks again, any and all suggestions are appreciated.

xoxosalem 03-23-2013 04:24 PM

Lunge

I would also try lunging him on the lunge line in both directions and doing spiral exercises.

Muppetgirl 03-23-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharond (Post 2003425)
Ok, spiraling will be on the agenda! Thanks for the suggestion....since I have frequent bouts of vertigo, this should be interesting! Lol! Thanks again, any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Hmmm interesting that you mention vertigo. Do you maybe your vertigo could create some illusion of greater imbalance going in one direction? Just a thought:-). I have a friend with Meneres disease and he can have vertigo for days on end:-(

mls 03-23-2013 04:47 PM

If the horse is leaning - not just dropping the shoulder - roll a spur up the rib cage while you pick up the inside rein - this will adjust the rib cage and the front end. Canter straight for a few strides and circle again.

This is a tough habit to break and will require dedicated sessions to work on.