The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Worming a pregnant mare question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/worming-pregnant-mare-question-160137/)

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-22-2013 07:10 PM

Worming a pregnant mare question

A friend's mare is expecting a bundle of Joy first week of April and she was wondering should she worm her mare before the baby was is born or after. I wasnt sure what the procedure on worming one close to term. Also mare is needing a tetanus shot is that ok as well? Thanks!

PaintHorseMares 03-22-2013 07:14 PM

We worm with ivermectin 3 days after foaling.

anniegirl 03-22-2013 08:25 PM

Its also recommended you worm 7-10 days prior to foaling...with ivertmectin...:) i know its hard without knowing the exact date...but if you have an approximate idea...I would do it...

deserthorsewoman 03-22-2013 08:42 PM

My first momma I didn't worm close to due date and ended up with a foal with severe diarrhea due to worms. From then on I wormed as close to birth as possible and never had anymore problems. Tetanus shot same thing. She has to pass immunity to the foal. I'd do that right away.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-22-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 1997281)
My first momma I didn't worm close to due date and ended up with a foal with severe diarrhea due to worms. From then on I wormed as close to birth as possible and never had anymore problems. Tetanus shot same thing. She has to pass immunity to the foal. I'd do that right away.

Thank you guys I appreciate it!!! And she knows approximately when it should be born since it was a planned breeding I just know its the end if the first week in march approxately
Posted via Mobile Device

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-23-2013 12:07 AM

I just realized I put march lol that's this month I meant April haha!
Posted via Mobile Device

MyLittlePonies 03-23-2013 11:43 AM

I've always been told to get the shots and worming done at least two weeks before she foals and a couple weeks after for just worming.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-23-2013 12:57 PM

Well she is just in time to get all that done
Posted via Mobile Device

Left Hand Percherons 03-23-2013 01:11 PM

You want to deworm prior to foaling to reduce the transfer of milk worms to the foal. If you wait, the cow is already out of the barn so to speak. Vaccinations are best given 2-3 weeks prior to foaling. There will be a higher transfer of protection in the colostrum. Vaccinating the mare after foaling will have no impact on the foal's antibody levels as they are not transferred to the foal after tje first 24 hours. Tetanus is very important in the off change that bacteria enters the foal through the umbilical stump.