The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   A Dreamer's Vessel >> Kenzie && Sour (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/dreamers-vessel-kenzie-sour-160169/)

Endiku 03-22-2013 08:26 PM

A Dreamer's Vessel >> Kenzie && Sour

After a record (for me) 48 page thread tracking the often terrifying, always rewarding journey of Kenzie, the filly that could- I have finally decided that it is high time that she and my lovely mare Sour had the chance to own their own little piece of Horse Forum in the form of a journal. So without further to do, I present to you 'A Dreamer's Vessel', inspired by Brook Garth's - The River, which just happens to be my favorite song ever right now ;)

First, a little bit of backround on both gals.

Breed: Thoroughbred
Height: 12.2hh
Sex: Filly
Aquired- December 22nd, 2013

Boom, or 'Kenzie' as we all know her, has lived a very unfortunate life of hardship dispite her young age. As a very short summary, she was rescued from a bankrupt breeder who had hidden six horses away in two crammed racetrack stalls in November of 2011, only to have her dam pass away to a massive stroke when Kenzie was only 2 months old. She was bucket/creep fed until she was at weaning age, then was adopted out to a seemingly lovely young family who wanted her to be their next pleasure/trail mount. About a year later the rescue happened to stop by to check in and see how she was doing, only to find that she was standing in a pile of muck, no feed, water, or companions in sight, very sick and starving to death. She was immediately pulled and brought back to us, her original fosters- only to collapse in her stall later that night. She was soon diagnosed with Equine Herpes Virus and given less than a 15% chance of living. Dispite the odds, a high fever, refusal to eat, and the fact that she stayed down almost an entire week, she was able to pull through and began a slow recovery. She has battled EHV, emanciation, worms, ulcers, abcessing, thrush in all four legs, a shoulder injury, and severe stuntinng, but somehow she is pulling out of it and is just now learning what its really like to be a horse. After a 8 week quarentine, she now has a lovely pasture buddy named Ginger and quite a few fans to adore her. She still needs to gain at least another 50 pounds and still battles ulcers and severe hoof problems, but she's made so much progress and I can't be happier! I've never met such a sweet little filly and I feel priviledged to be able to help her learn to love life again.

H:// She Don't Lie

Breed: Miniature Horse
Height:34.25 inches
Sex: Mare
Aquired: September 17th, 2012

Sour is my crazy demon child ;) Her story and mine is very long, but in short, I was actually there to see her be born back almost five years ago, though I didn't know it at the time. I was just a 12 year old horse crazy preteen with no experience, but I loved her from the start. She left the farm the day after she was born, only to come back as a weanling- untouched, crazy, wormy, slipper hooved, and with a halter growing into her face. Theres no reason that her path and mine should have intertwined...I was just the lowly volunteer that mucked stalls, and she was a pretty much feral minal. But it did. Unfortunately a very unkind young man got his hands on her shortly after she arrived and he attempted to lay her down incorrectly, hitting her and pushing her until she collasped, trembling. From that point on she hated people, and people hated her. She bit, she kicked, the lunged, she attacked...nothing was the limit for her. But after being abandoned in a corral to be sent off to the meat buyer, I couldn't help but want to reach out to her.

They say that green and green equal black and blue. This is true. I can't tell you how many times I got kicked or bitten by her. I don't know how I didn't manage to kill us both. Somehow though, God's grace fell on us, and she slowly learned to trust me. As I learned more about horses, I began to realize what I was doing wrong, and along with a trainer and my saint of a mentor, I somehow managed to bond with Sour. Four years later, I am proud to say that the agressive demon pony that was once hated, is now a favorite at our barn. She is by no means a beginners horse dispite her size, and she'll never be a 'cutsey little companion pony' but I love her to death, and she respects me. She is now a green driving pony and attended her very first parade on February 22nd; a feat I never dreamed we could accomplish. She has superb ground manners, is a dream to drive, and is everything I could ask for in a first horse. The two of us should have never worked out, but somehow we did. And I will never regret it!

Sour does have one foal, (not by my choice- she was not mine at the time) a beautiful dun miniature mule filly named Honor, who was born on 9-11-12. Unfortunately due to only having limited time and funds, I did have to sell her last month. I am very heartbroken, but I realize it was the correct thing to do, and her new owners love her!

and so begins our journey...

nvr2many 03-22-2013 10:29 PM

I love it! I have followed your stories from the beginning, all 48 pgs, lol. I am excited to continue on with you. Thank you for all you do!

egrogan 03-22-2013 10:33 PM

I think I missed Kenzie's registered name along the way. Lets just say I prefer her nickname :) do you have her pedigree up anywhere?

It feels like the "end of an era" with her thread ending, but I'm glad it's for a good reason and i can still stalk her over here!
Posted via Mobile Device

ThePaintGirl 03-23-2013 01:36 AM

I am sooo happy she made it! Ive read all the posts on her but never commented but had to finally! That little girl is lucky to have someone like you by her side.
You can now add two stalkers to your list. I told my dad about her and he now has told me I need to tell him about any updates on her <3 I think Kenzie reminds him of his OTTB that he lost last year

Bless you,
ThePaintGirl

EmilyJoy 03-23-2013 11:06 AM

Subbing! Can't wait to see her grow this year!

Endiku 03-23-2013 05:42 PM

I prefer Kenzie as well, egrogan xD Badabing Badaboom is the name stated on her sales papers, but I'm not sure that she's actually registered? I'm actually really confused. I know she's registerable and has the necessary documents to be registered, but I'm thinking they never did send in the papers to the Jockey Club, or they sent in her first papers but not the second? Something along those lines. Badabing Badaboom was then name we were given when she came from the racetrack the first time with her dam and the others, so I don't know if that means they'd already been on some papers or what. I have no idea how Thoroughbred registration works. Apparently it would cost us $300-350 to register her as a yearling though, and its not very high on BO's 'to do' list since it won't make much of a difference. Sigh!

I feel kind of sad ending that last thread as well, but it was getting pretty darned long xD hopefully this thread makes it that long as well!

ANYWAYS, I took some more photos today but for some reason my camera isn't being nice to me and photobucket is lagging so I can only upload one D: Here it is though ^_^ Kenzie says 'Wheres my food woman?!'

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...pscb28960a.jpg

aerie 03-23-2013 07:09 PM

Subbing/Switching to this thread!!! I am so glad to see all the progress you have made with little Kenzie =) She is the cutest thing ever! And I can't wait to hear more about Sour, She seems like an interesting little mare ;)

Endiku 03-23-2013 07:56 PM

Alright, I finally got photobucket to work for me ;)

She's shedding like crazy, which is a good thing!

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ps339f48be.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...psc972d72f.jpg

So I noticed that the hair where her pressure sores were is growing back greyish rather than brown, which is interesting but not unexpected. While was noticing that though, I realized that the callouse on her elbow (from laying on hard ground while emanciated) almost looks like its starting to break open O_o is that a normal part of 'healing' process, or should I be worried? It was sensative to touch but she did let me poke around at it a little.
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...psb50b4285.jpg

I've noticed, whether good or bad, that the more Kenzie gains weight and energy, the spookier/hotter she is. I'm sure a lot of it just has to do with her age and the fact that she was largely unhandled for a long time, but its definitely an observation I've made over the past few weeks. She spooked twice today and I've noticed that she tends to think 'UP' not 'FORWARDS' when she does get startled or upset, which I'm not to thrilled about. I'd much rather deal with a horse that bolts than rears, but you get what you get I guess. She hasn't actually tried to rear yet and I'm VERY serious about discouraging it, but I can definitely see that she doesn't think the way my mare does when it comes to scary things. She sort of sits back on her haunches and throws her head up, tensing her back, chest, and neck whenever she spooks- THEN moves forwards...or backwards. That'll be fun to work with... O_o

I refuse to post a picture of Sour right now because she looks aweful xD shedding like crazy, dusty, hay covering her (she very much enjoys eating her hay xD), and total lack of muscle since I havent really had time to work her much lately...ugh. Hopefully she'll look more presentable in a few weeks when she's done shedding.

Here is a picture of one of her hooves though. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my farrier or try another one for her. They started out TERRIBLE when he first started working on them in September but they still just don't like...right to me. It seems like her heels are still a little underrun, or too short? What do you guys think? For hoof gurus, you might see the telltale signs of founder in that hoof, with the way it bulges- and you're right if you mention it, unfortunately. She foundered just before I bought her in September, after escaping and going on a grain binge >.> it was caught early enough I think, and there was no coffin bone rotation, but its enough to make me very stingy about what I feed her.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...psc36dae11.jpg

Cacowgirl 03-24-2013 12:14 AM

Kenzie has really turned around w/your care. Is there any way you can change the date you got her-as I see it as Dec. 22,2013 & should be 2012, right?

Endiku 03-24-2013 12:20 AM

Oops xD my mistake. I must be tired! I suppose I could ask a mod to change that for me. Thanks for catching that!