The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Standing wraps + Quilts, or No-Bows? Or naked? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/standing-wraps-quilts-no-bows-naked-160177/)

SnowCowgirl 03-22-2013 07:28 PM

Standing wraps + Quilts, or No-Bows? Or naked?

In just over a month I'm going to be hauling my mare about 2500km. She's been trailered lots before but always in a stock trailer with other horses. This time she'll be going alone in a 2 horse straight haul... we're working up to the part where she actually GETS IN :lol:

I've never used boots on any horses before but figure that it probably can't hurt, right? I've heard horror stories about shipping boots but it seems like people seem to like using standing wraps (I know how to wrap properly).

My question is, for this distance (unfortunately we'll be doing it in only a couple of days due to time restrictions), would you wrap or not? I'm not sure whether to just use quilts or if I should go for "No Bows"... what the heck are they really anyway?? I was also thinking of putting bell boots on her all round.

equiniphile 03-22-2013 10:29 PM

I actually just got home from teaching younger Pony Club members how to wrap....for four hours. Standing wraps, shipping bandages, figure eight wraps, spider bandages, tail wraps, polo wraps, you name it.

I would wrap for that distance. Personally, I would do a shipping bandage with either flannel wraps or track wraps. Use thick no bows; not the thin ones that are everywhere these days. You could also use cotton sheets. Wrap all the way to the ground, over the hoof, up to the knees/hocks. You can also do a standing wrap and cup it so that the pastern is protected as well. This will require no bows or quilts (thick!) and track wraps.

alexischristina 03-23-2013 01:11 AM

I definitely vote no-bows and a standing wrap or similar. Equiniphile has given some perfect advice, though, so just up-voting that, lol!

GracielaGata 03-23-2013 10:13 AM

My horse went ~5000 miles last year cross country when we moved. I had wanted to do shipping bandages/wraps/quilt wraps, etc., but had been told by both the shippers and my barn manager/good friend that it was such a long distance to use them- if one slipped or what not, and she got caught in it or upset for it bothering her due to being in the wrong spot, that it could end badly. She did fine without anything but a normal flat halter in a slant load trailer. :) Good luck on your trip!

SnowCowgirl 03-23-2013 10:59 AM

thanks guys! Graciela - I know where you're coming from with the possibility of wraps slipping etc. On one hand she will be in a small trailer with not a lot of room to move so that's a plus because even if one WERE to somehow come undone, she wouldn't be able to freak out too much lol (not that I really think she would anyway), but I do know it's a possibility. I understand that shippers probably don't want the hassle but since it's ME, I don't mind re-doing them along the way whenever they need it.

That said, I will be travelling with myself, the boyfriend, our dog, and the horse... so we're going to be stopping fairly often and I'll have lots of chances to check on her.

equiniphile - I'm going to have to buy quilts/no bows online, what thickness is "thick"?

GracielaGata 03-23-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowCowgirl (Post 2001625)
thanks guys! Graciela - I know where you're coming from with the possibility of wraps slipping etc. On one hand she will be in a small trailer with not a lot of room to move so that's a plus because even if one WERE to somehow come undone, she wouldn't be able to freak out too much lol (not that I really think she would anyway), but I do know it's a possibility. I understand that shippers probably don't want the hassle but since it's ME, I don't mind re-doing them along the way whenever they need it.

That said, I will be travelling with myself, the boyfriend, our dog, and the horse... so we're going to be stopping fairly often and I'll have lots of chances to check on her.

Yeah, I am sure that was a big reason we didn't use them- the shippers not wanting to be responsible. :) You are welcome! Have a good trip! Make sure you take frequent stops for her to potty and drink!

equiniphile 03-23-2013 12:04 PM

You can feel the difference in thickness when you go to buy them. The crappy ones are only 1/4-1/2" thick, but the good ones are at least an inch thick. They look bulky when they're on, but they offer so much more protection. They're also a lot harder to wrap (and you may need to interlock two track wraps for one leg), so make sure you practice first.
Posted via Mobile Device

SnowCowgirl 03-23-2013 07:21 PM

I wonder.. what about these? (with wraps over top of course)

COMFORT EQUESTRIAN LTD. BR Fashion Bandage Pads

Cynical25 03-25-2013 03:08 PM

I have always opted for thick no bows and standing wraps for any trailering over 3-4 hours. I've used them on cross-country show circuit hauling & when flying horses from Texas to Italy. When applied correctly, they shouldn't budge. They'll give extra support to legs that could tire from dealing with the constant travel motion, plus prevents any scrapes from the horse stepping on itself while re-balancing in the moving vehicle.

As for your link, I'd personally pass on those. I'd worry the velcro strips could cause pressure points - your standing bandages are going to be pretty snug and it could be very irritating to the leg if those less flexible strips of velcro happened to be placed over a tendon.

This is just a guess since I've never used or touched that product, however I've worn my fair share of ankle & knee braces and know that even a tiny wrinkle of bandage can be seriously annoying or even downright painful.

SnowCowgirl 03-26-2013 12:07 PM

ah very good point! thanks for that. I think I'm going to order the standing wraps and no-bows.