The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Setting up a greenhouse (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/setting-up-greenhouse-160313/)

Breella 03-22-2013 10:53 PM

Setting up a greenhouse

I've got a 6ft by 8ft greenhouse on the way!

Poly-Tex Snap & Grow 6' x 8' Hobby Greenhouse - Silver - BJ's Wholesale Club

I'M SO EXCITED! It is however my first greenhouse. I have backyard gardened for a while. Any tips for transitioning?

toto 03-22-2013 10:59 PM

The web page dont work..

Green houses are wonderful for starting seeds, you can also keep them longer durring the winter times. :)

Phly 03-22-2013 11:10 PM

By transitioning do you mean acclimating to full sun and being planted?
Posted via Mobile Device

Breella 03-22-2013 11:33 PM

Going from a regular garden to a greenhouse. Most of my garden this year is going to be out of buckets, so I'll be able to move them outside or inside the greenhouse as I please. I've never had a greenhouse before and I was wondering, how do I get bees inside to pollinate? Do I just leave the door open in the AM?

Phly 03-22-2013 11:36 PM

I'm no help then. I've never grown a garden in a greenhouse. Though I have to say I wish I could. Late frosts and droughts have kicked my butt a few times.
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 03-23-2013 12:38 AM

You can polinate yourself with out bees-- depending on what youre planting.

What some of the farmers do is-- take a q-tip; rub inside the male flower, then rub the inside of the female flower, then put cheesecloth over the female flower so nothing else can cross polinate the female flower.. they do this when the female flowers first open.

Breella 03-23-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 1999778)
You can polinate yourself with out bees-- depending on what youre planting.

What some of the farmers do is-- take a q-tip; rub inside the male flower, then rub the inside of the female flower, then put cheesecloth over the female flower so nothing else can cross polinate the female flower.. they do this when the female flowers first open.

Hmm I'll have to read about that. I don't think I want to pollinate all the cherry tomatoes on my own though...

AnalisaParalyzer 03-23-2013 09:18 AM

that looks AWESOME. why not pollinate cherry tomatoes? Im learning so sorry if i ask lots of questions....

toto 03-23-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breella (Post 2000034)
Hmm I'll have to read about that. I don't think I want to pollinate all the cherry tomatoes on my own though...

There will be times when you need to leave the door and windows opened-- you dont want it getting too muggy or too hot inside the greenhouse-- they might could get polinated then?

Other insects polinate flowers-- like butterflies.. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalisaParalyzer (Post 2001177)
that looks AWESOME. why not pollinate cherry tomatoes? Im learning so sorry if i ask lots of questions....

Its tedious --OP prolly has a mess of em too.

FlyGap 03-23-2013 06:48 PM

How cool! Please post progress photos!

How about a feather duster for pollination?
Posted via Mobile Device