The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Tail Rubbing problems! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/tail-rubbing-problems-160402/)

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 03-23-2013 02:55 AM

Tail Rubbing problems!

I'm having a problem with my mare rubbing her tail, making it almost impossible to plait for shows!

I need ideas on what i could be and what i can do to prevent it,

We have just had a fecal test done for worms and there was absolutely nothing in her poo.

She rubs the top of her dock, until there is nothing there anymore. we have tried a quit-itch was with no improvement.

Any ideas?

Wallaby 03-23-2013 03:11 AM

Are you cleaning her lady-areas (udder too!) with any regularity?

My girl will rub her butt and tail literally raw (she's a gray and she has a few dark grey/black stripes on her patootie where she rubbed out all her fur and skin, to the point where it's having to re-gray!) if I don't religiously clean her udder.
During the winter I clean it once or twice for the whole season but during the summer, man, it's like a weekly thing. And even going a week is sometimes pushing it! :shock:

usandpets 03-23-2013 03:23 AM

That would be my guess too if not worms. Just like geldings, mares need cleaning too.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 03-23-2013 03:52 AM

Wallaby took the words out of my brain; it's likely her udder is crusty and needs to be cleaned. I bet she'll feel so much better if yo udo that for her.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 03-23-2013 04:39 AM

I usually give her udders a quick wash when i bathe her, or clean them with a baby wipe but i will try giving them a good scrub. Any tips?

justridinguk 03-23-2013 05:11 AM

Itch

I agree with all the previous posters and would add that there is a company in Ireland called Botanica that sell some simply phenominal products for itching, it not a preventative but a cure. I saw a bottle of this sticking out of nearly every grooms tack box at HOYS.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 03-23-2013 05:31 AM

Thanks but i dont think they would post to Australia! Gave her a good scrub, wasn't really dirty but she enjoyed it! Had the lip going and all so hopefully that's done the job!

justridinguk 03-23-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurlyIsASpecialStandie (Post 2000466)
Thanks but i dont think they would post to Australia! Gave her a good scrub, wasn't really dirty but she enjoyed it! Had the lip going and all so hopefully that's done the job!

Fair one, thats a bit of a trek.
Its always makes me chuckle the ol lip going... lol I hope it all works out Im sure it will.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 03-23-2013 06:14 AM

Makes me laugh too! The whole lip action and face pulling
Posted via Mobile Device

rookie 03-23-2013 07:42 AM

fecal may not reveal pin worms, but a tape test from the area around her tail head or rectum itself would. Something to consider if the behavior continues.