The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Shots or No Shots?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/shots-no-shots-160481/)

gamingirl22 03-23-2013 12:00 PM

Shots or No Shots??

I live next to a small pond and I was just wondering if I should get my horse's shots this year or not?? We can't really afford it, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Do any of your horses get shots?? Please let me know!

Left Hand Percherons 03-23-2013 12:54 PM

What are your risk factors? How much does your horse interact with others? There are some shots you should have but there are others that depending upon your risk factors are a big waste of $$. EWEE plus tetnus is a bare minimum with a heavy mosquito population and it's only going to run $6-7 is you give it yourself.

BigBenLoverforLife 03-23-2013 12:56 PM

My horse gets shots every year, I have the vet do it, I am to much of a wimp to do it myself! He gets the 5-way, and a couple more.

Joe4d 03-23-2013 01:00 PM

you said yourself better to be safe than sorry, pretty irresponsible not to vaccinate them, Oh and add rabies to the list. That is really foolish not to get.

Bellasmom 03-23-2013 01:05 PM

I have a couple I haul for trail rides, so I shoot for everything, INCLUDING rabies. People don't tend to think of rabies and horses, but they can get it (friend had a horse contract rabies when I was younger after being bitten on the nose) & as I have always lived in areas where rabies can be a problem, I always vaccinate for it.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 03-23-2013 01:09 PM

I agree with getting rabbies, ewee, and Tetnus. Depending on your situation would determine if you feel you need the extra flash in the pan but, IMO over vaccinating is more likely to do more harm than it's going to prevent the contraction of anything.

Good luck to you!

Dustbunny 03-23-2013 01:34 PM

Minimum 5-way plus west nile. Strangles also for our "campers."
I give them myself. I believe some manufacture now has west nile in a combo...but don't quote me on that.

dbarabians 03-23-2013 01:49 PM

It is far more expensive to treat an easily preventable disease than to give the shots.
You dont have to give them all their shots at once. At the minimum a 5 way and Rabies. here only a vet can obtain rabies vaccines.
All my horses get their annual 5 way, rabies, and West Nile. I do not however give any of my pregnant mares any boosters during their pregnancy. Just their annuals and then again about a month before they foal. Shalom

spirit88 03-23-2013 02:30 PM

I do the 4 way rabies and westnile my horses dont go any where we just trail ride. Were the only ones on our trails so our horses arent exposed to anything. We share the trails with four wheelers.

franknbeans 03-23-2013 06:02 PM

OP-the way you have phrased the question( "do Any of you get......") makes me wonder where you are? Noone I know who has horses would even question vaccinations.