The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Any ideas on what my mare's dam's color could have been? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/any-ideas-what-my-mares-dams-160497/)

horsietori 03-23-2013 12:32 PM

Any ideas on what my mare's dam's color could have been?

2 Attachment(s)
I have a weird question for everyone. I'd like help figuring out something about my mare's dam's color.
My mare is a dappled palomino TB/Perch/QH. Her sire was a sorrel grade QH. Her dam is a grey TB/Perch. The previous owner said the dam was grey when she got her as a yearling. I highly doubt she had a cream gene because of being TB/Perch. What could have caused my mare to be a dappled palomino, unless she isn't really a palomino? The dam and sire have had 4 foals together, including my mare. They had 2 palomino foals and 2 grey foals (not sure of the base color) I do know that from a different stallion, she has had a red roan that turned grey by the time she was a yearling and a black/white foal who turned grey before 6 months. My mare's sire, as far as I know, has only produced palomino and chestnut foals.
SO question is, what color could my mare's dam have been?

I attached a picture of her and one of he sire.

Don't mind my mare's mane and tail... It is SUPPOSED to be white! She needed a bath...

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-23-2013 01:02 PM

Your mares dam HAS to have a cream gene for you to have a palomino. The sire is obviously Chesnut so the dam was a dilute of some sort. It's impossible to tell since the dam is grey but the mother doesn't necessarily have to be pally for your mare to be a pally. She could of been smokey black since the Percheron color is black. But that's only a guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-23-2013 01:05 PM

Do you know what color the sire and dams parents were by chance?
Posted via Mobile Device

horsietori 03-23-2013 01:18 PM

I have no idea what color her parent's parents were. My mare is from a PMU farm in Canada, and neither of her parents were registered.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-23-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsietori (Post 2002569)
I have no idea what color her parent's parents were. My mare is from a PMU farm in Canada, and neither of her parents were registered.

Ah well all we can tell you is that momma was some dilute that went grey.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsietori 03-23-2013 01:23 PM

Now that you mention being smoky black, that could very well be. But I still don't know that a palomino TB was used to create a grade horse. Usually that kind of stud fee is HIGH and it would probably be frowned upon. Or at least that is my thinking on the matter. One day when I have extra money, it would be fun to do a color genetic test on my mare :)

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-23-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsietori (Post 2002641)
Now that you mention being smoky black, that could very well be. But I still don't know that a palomino TB was used to create a grade horse. Usually that kind of stud fee is HIGH and it would probably be frowned upon. Or at least that is my thinking on the matter. One day when I have extra money, it would be fun to do a color genetic test on my mare :)

Doesn't necessarily have to be a palomino to make a smokey black momma could of been some other dilute :-) your mare is genetically red based with one cream gene. You could test for if she carries agouti if you want or if she homozygous or heterozygous red. Not much to test for :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

caljane 03-23-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsietori (Post 2002641)

What makes you so sure that the dam of your mare was out of purebred Percheron and TB? PMU farms used to breed for color quite a bit to make their (to them useless) offspring more marketable.
I agree with Peppy: the dam must have been born a diluted color, be it buckskin, palomino, or smokey black. For that one of her parents must have been diluted too. Unless you got the one-in-a-million mutated form of dilution in you mare :-) Disregard the last note! :wink:

verona1016 03-23-2013 06:48 PM

There are a very few Thoroughbred lines that carry the cream gene and AFAIK Percheron doesn't carry it at all. It's possible she's from one of those cream-carrying TB lines, but I think it's more likely that your horse's dam had more than just Percheron & TB in her bloodlines.