The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Clever Pony (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/clever-pony-1605/)

GypsyMel 04-21-2007 03:39 AM

Clever Pony

I work at a bar that has a pasture right outside. Perfection. I love bartending and I love horses. I knew there was a reason I changed jobs! I've worked there for over a year now and it's been great! Tending to the horses before work and tending to the drinkers lol.

The owners are in the middle of putting up a new fence. Just this week, they've cleared out a lot of area. And now, the pony, William is escaping. He does no wrong. He just hangs outside the bar. They've all joked with me telling me he just wants to see me.

William is one clever pony. They've been using an electric fence for years and to tell you how well the other two horses respect the fence, the fence was shut off prior to getting William. He started to crawl under the fence to get out. Not only was the fence turned back on, they doubled it. He's been doing good forever and now he's getting out again. And nobody could figure out where until today.

A patron came in and told me William was out. I went outside to get him and the silly boy..he gave himself away. Dried up weeds hanging on his back..in his ears..on his mane. And by the fence? Clearly the dried up weeds he crawled through. He had no halter on, but for a few steps, he walked with me. Then he realized the grass was greener on that side and refused to move. The owner came up to help me and I went in to get carrots. He told me on the way in that I better grab two. Behind him was the mare on her way to greener grass. She was controllable though lol.

So, I got the carrot, and William followed it. Until he got to the open fence. He decided he was going no further. That fence was never on before and so he never got zapped by it. I think he knew that if he stepped over, he'd be back inside. He was so standing his ground. Those little hooves, I swear they were digging into the dirt! He had his neck stretched as far as it would go. Still digging in the dirt, he stretched his lips trying to get that carrot. The owner got a twig and I warned William by saying, "Yer about to get a spankin!" Instead of going into the pasture, he turned and wanted to go the other way. I went to him with the carrot and only then did he follow me into the pasture. Like " I suppose I gotta now!" When he got back inside, he just stood by his escape route..now a double fence and is hot. That clever guy...he'll find somewhere else I'm sure haha.

Let's see if I can find a picture of him.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...inywilliam.jpg

I just love that little guy!

GypsyMel 04-22-2007 10:30 AM

An update haha

We thought all was good Friday night. Well, it wasn't haha. I received a call from friend who was down at the club cooking..the pony was out watching her at the door! Thinking since it was Saturday, the owners may not have been home. So, I got ready to go down. Then I got a call saying that they knew and were fixing the fence.

I got to work later and my boss just giggled. He had went down earlier and Willie was out. Willie is a nosy fella and stood at the door watching my boss do the books. I went outside and had to laugh myself. Everywhere I looked there was a new fence. There should be no way possible that Willie can get out again. Should be no way.

Later the owners came in just shaking their heads. As soon as they got back to the house from the first time, they noticed he was out again! Then they got ready to really explore. There is this wooded area that is sorta fenced in. The older horses respect the fence and don't go near the wooded area. Willie is learning.When they got exploring in the wooded area, they found 3 little paths that the pony had made.

Like I said, the new fences should fix the escaping. I'm riding Classy today (the horse as my profile pic). I wouldn't be surprised if I hear about another escape.

And I have to be more stern, but William just melts my heart. I've loved horses for as long as I can remember, but I have never been around them like I have with the current 3. It's all a learning experience for me. One of the owners teased me last night sayin that he didn't see me getting a switch or giving Willie a tap. Me?? Hey! I just got to the point where I tap him on the nose to say no! haha.

Anyway, that's my little William story.

bolly 04-22-2007 11:24 AM

Maybe one of the higher moderators should move this topic to members journals, it would be more appropriate x

tumai 04-23-2007 03:24 AM

That is so funny. Our beloved Cobby used to niggle at the gate latch until it opened...The little monkeyHee! Hee! :lol:

Rachluvshorses4eva 04-23-2007 03:33 AM

Very funny! :mrgreen:
What a clever pony he is!
I think that will be the only horse I know who can do that!

GypsyMel 04-23-2007 12:05 PM

Don't know about today, but Willie didn't get out Sunday morning. When I got to the house to go riding, the owner told me that her hubby got up and laughed and said, "Willie didn't get out today! HA!" Like he defeated the pony. I told her, "I don't wanna jinx a good thing, but you think maybe Willie is so clever that he knows to give his escaping a few days off before he starts up again?" Point was taken haha.

I would actually love to see him crawl under the fence to get out. The owner told me that she seen him do it in front of the house. I always miss the good stuff!!

The funny thing is, the little guy always gives himself away. When he is out, he's just full of twigs, little burrs and weeds. It's so obvious he went through the wooded area. I noticed his mess last summer and told the owners. They thought they knew where and put up a fence. That's when Willie outwitted us all and made other paths.

He definitely keeps us on our toes haha.

He was so upset yesterday when we went riding. He had to be tied in his stall because he likes to nip at the other horses when we're riding. I swear the one whinny was the whinny that could have been heard all around town. He got his turn later though. The grandkids rode him.