The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   what is your favourite gait and why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-your-favourite-gait-why-16052/)

Jubilee Rose 10-15-2008 11:54 AM

what is your favourite gait and why?

This has probably been asked before, but here goes again.

Right now I'm in love with Jubilee's slow, sitting trot. It's so dressagy and comfortable.

You guys?

smrobs 10-15-2008 12:04 PM

It really depends on which horse I am riding. Dobe has the best slow trot. He has a really short, quick stride but it is so smooth you would swear you were sitting on your couch at home. Koda has a wonderful smooth lope that is very slow but without the jerkiness of western pleasure horses. Denny is a walking sun of a gun. He will walk as fast as most other horses trot and it is soooo smooth. He will beat you to death at any other gait though.

FoxyRoxy1507 10-15-2008 01:18 PM

well i'm in love with my horses trot and canter. both gaits r sooooo smooth no matter if hes collected or extending and i love it. Hes a TB but every trainer who has ever seen him says he moves better than almost any wb theyve seen. my current trainer who has done dressage in the upper levels and everything forever thinks swoop could do grand prix dressage but swoop only tolerates the dressage so o well.. lol hes a jumper/eventer thru and thru but omg is he comfortable.

moomoo 10-15-2008 02:51 PM

Misty is gorgeous in sitting trot, canter and gallop :D hehe

kickshaw 10-15-2008 03:33 PM

i don't care what anyone says - justin has the best canter of any horse any where. period :P

i also love sitting jogs - and riding one that racks :-)

iridehorses 10-15-2008 03:54 PM

Bobo has a trot that could kill you unless you collect him. He walks out great and has a nice gentle rocking canter. Since we do a lot of trail riding, walk is my favorite gait.

I'll looking at a ***** footer tonight so maybe a nice "glide" will be my next choice.

Fogged-In 10-15-2008 04:01 PM

Canter... Hes like a floating on a cloud... So smooth!

My2Geldings 10-15-2008 06:07 PM

It really depends on the horse. I like both the trot and the canter

TwendeHaraka 10-15-2008 07:52 PM

If it's a good day, on any horse for the most part, I love, love, LOVE, the hand-gallop. I just enjoy going faster. On any other day, just the canter. My horse just rounds up so well at the canter, and I just love this gait.

RusticWildFire 10-15-2008 08:19 PM

I love to go fast. Sooo I'd say canter and gallop. Scooter has a beautiful canter. He's really smooth. Hunter..he's really rough..but it's ok. I still love cantering. It's got an amazing feel to it..Makes me feel really free and just happy. Somethin' real good about it!