The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Paso Finos & TWH (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/paso-finos-twh-16057/)

NoFear526 10-15-2008 12:51 PM

Paso Finos & TWH

I am in a bind. Well, not really, but to myself I am.

I work for a stable sponsored by St Judes. We have all Paso Finos and Tennessee Walkers, because they're much smoother for the children to ride, not as bouncy as other breeds.

However, I've never ridden these before. My whole life I've ridden/trained/& shown Hunters/Jumpers/Dressage/Eventing.

I've ridden quite a bit, and I really love the breeds. They're pretty exceptional horses, and I'm very glad I'm getting the opportunity to work w/ them.
But I have no clue what their gaits are called.

I obviously, when riding, can tell the difference between gaits when they change, but I have no idea what they are or what they're called.

Could somebody help me? I'd like to actually know what I'm doing instead of just riding :wink:

kickshaw 10-15-2008 12:59 PM

what the gait is called will vary with the breed.

TWH will either do a "running walk" or a rack. I'm not sure as to the exact differences on the two though.

I know that the paso finos do a fino gait - a short-strided singlefoot type step, and i believe the other is called largo...but i'm not sure

Curly_Horse_CMT 10-15-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickshaw (Post 167633)
what the gait is called will vary with the breed.

TWH will either do a "running walk" or a rack. I'm not sure as to the exact differences on the two though.

I know that the paso finos do a fino gait - a short-strided singlefoot type step, and i believe the other is called largo...but i'm not sure

The TWH's have a flat walk, running walk, sometimes a rack or a pace, and then they can also canter.

The Paso Fino's display a perfect four beat gait that is never lateral. They are called the Fino, the Corto and the Largo. The largo is the fastest, with the Fino being a fine energized walk. They can also canter, but some of the show horses are forbidden to canter even outside the show ring.

Ninadelso1 10-21-2008 11:24 PM

Bit help

1 Attachment(s)
I got this bit when I inherited my Paso's and am in dire need of a new one BUT I have no idea what type of bit it is. Please help by checking out the attached photo. There's also a curb chain that's not attached in the picture.

Spyder 10-21-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninadelso1 (Post 171675)
I got this bit when I inherited my Paso's and am in dire need of a new one BUT I have no idea what type of bit it is. Please help by checking out the attached photo. There's also a curb chain that's not attached in the picture.

I posted this on the other post you made in reference to this bit.

That looks to be a type of spade bit and is for very, very, very experienced riders/trainers only.

Handled incorrectly you can tear up the insides of a horse's mouth very quickly. Horses that carry this type of bit in their mouths have been trained for years to hold their head in a very specific way and the rider's hands are trained to have the most sensitive touch

Ninadelso1 10-22-2008 08:36 AM

Thanks for your help. I actually found it online, it's a columbian bit. My baby's do have very good head position and have been extensively trained before I got them. Their mouths have never looked irritated and they are quite happy on the trail so I think we'll stick with what we've got! I REALLY appreciate your help and responsiveness.

Have a great day!

Vidaloco 10-22-2008 10:16 AM

If you are looking for bits I would recommend the Imus comfort bit. They are for gaited horses. The best thing about them for your situaltion is they can be used as a training bit in the snaffle position or in the curb position for more experienced riders or more refinement.
They aren't overly expensive either.

http://www.gaitsofgold.net/store/sec...ts/9_large.jpg

NoFear526 10-23-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 171891)
If you are looking for bits I would recommend the Imus comfort bit. They are for gaited horses. The best thing about them for your situaltion is they can be used as a training bit in the snaffle position or in the curb position for more experienced riders or more refinement.
They aren't overly expensive either.

http://www.gaitsofgold.net/store/sec...ts/9_large.jpg

Thank you very much!

I think this bit would actually help me a lot more too. When I ride the horses, I put all those crazy bits in their mouths. If I could just use one universal bit, and be able to feel comfortable riding in it like a snaffle I'm used to, I think that'll help me train/work with these guys better.

:)

Thank you!!

Ninadelso1 11-12-2008 12:19 AM

Help me slow this guy down!

I'm riding a new Paso who is (1) fat (2) hasn't been ridden regularly and (3) is so intent upon go- go -going constantly I think he's going to give himself a heart attack!! He's an absolutely BEAUTIFUL ride when I can get him to relax. He was a show horse for 2 years (he's 8 now) and is solely used on the trail now. I've been working on voice commands to stop when he gets moving too fast (without me asking him to), doing turns into the fence (not sure what it's really called) and doing figure 8s to just slow him down. I hate to be in his mouth on our 4 hour rides not to mention my muscles are shaking by the time we get home. Any tips on how to work on a nice, calm walk? Especially when riding with one of our other horses. I have very little hands on training experience so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have fallen in love with this guy and really know he has it in him to be a great companion on the trail... if he'll just relax and slow down a little!

Vidaloco 11-12-2008 10:46 AM

I have to ask, is he just going faster than a non gaited horse but just a normal speed for a gaited one? Sometimes when you go from a non gaited to a gaited the faster speed can be a bit scary.
He will normally travel faster than say a Quarter horse, even at a walk.
That said if he is really travelling/running off on you, he may need to go back to square one in the training pen. Personally I use the word "easy" and do half halts/whoas to achieve the correct speed. Just sort of sponge the reins sit down like your want a whoa or halt, say "easy". When he comes to the correct speed remove the pressure. It takes time but he will learn that "easy" means slow down.
The best thing you can do to make a good trail horse is expose him to as much scary stuff as you can before you get out on the trail. If you have a friend who has a more seasoned horse riding with them will also of course help.
Good luck and hope this helps