The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Lion riding a horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/lion-riding-horse-16067/)

Zab 10-15-2008 03:56 PM

Lion riding a horse

I saw this when I googled

Personally, I don't really see why so man get upset by it. The horse doesn't seem scared, or look like he's breaking his back by the weight.I rather find the act rather sweet and amazing; how it's possible to get two natural enemies to work together.
So the act in itself seem ok for me.. especially if the horse had been a little bigger and more muscular.

But there might be other things that makes it cruel; how is it trained? With patience and calm, or with whips and straps?
Has the lion had it's teeth and claws removed? How nice is that? (claws cut is one thing.. but pulled out? And teeth?)
How about the safety? Are they sure the lion won't attack (if it had teeth left)?
How long time anf how often does the horse carry that weight? Is it trained to be srong enough for it?

And the horse could need more food and more muscle, and there are certainly more things that's not alright.

But what do you think? Is it animal cruelty just to have a lion riding a horse like this? In that case; why?

Pinto Pony 10-15-2008 06:14 PM

The act itself wouldn't be so bad depending on the training techniques as you mentioned but I highly doubt after reading that article that these animals are being cared for in a suitable fashion. They state that animals are kept in solitary confinement in small cages. Also that horse being made to move with a huge weight on his back on that hard surface :(

I also don't think feeding live animals as a show for spectators is appropriate. I know there is a food chain out in the wild but for human entertainment purposes, kinda makes me sick.

RusticWildFire 10-15-2008 06:47 PM

I'm not so sure that I'm a fan.. the horse doesn't look completely TERRIFIED so to say but it doesn't look happy. I don't like the idea of that heavy of an animal jumping on the horses back.. Cool to see they get along and all but it doesn't impress me that much.

smrobs 10-15-2008 10:53 PM

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:I dont agree with this at all. Look at how much weight they are making that horse carry. That lion is nearly as big as the horse.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...02_468x393.jpg

If you look in his eyes, you can't tell me that horse is not scared.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...02_468x366.jpg

Me personally, i think that this is disgusting and should never be allowed. but that is just me.

Curly_Horse_CMT 10-16-2008 10:37 AM

Wow...

Rediculous...totally not "normal" and shouldnt be allowed :evil::shock:

meggymoo 10-16-2008 12:25 PM

:shock: I thought I had read the title wrong when I first clicked on the thread. I have to say, I dont agree with that one bit. It looks to me like the horse is terrified. Some humans just dont deserve animals. But that is just my opinion.

Have people been paying to watch this kind of show? I suppose that is a silly question really. Sorry. There must be some kind of market or attraction to it or the man wouldn't of thought of such a unusual thing/trick in the first place.

Solon 10-16-2008 12:51 PM

The weight of an average african lion is 300 to 500 lbs.; the average weight of a medium/large pony is 200 to 500.

So that lion shouldn't be riding that pony. If is was a smaller lion or a bigger horse it probably wouldn't at least look so bad weight wise. It's like a circus act side show a way to draw in people.

I don't agree with it, but for some people that's their sort of thing.

Painted Ride 10-16-2008 02:25 PM

honestly it looks poorly photo shopped to me!!! but if this were true the person who arranged this should have to be the one to get to clip the lions claws!!

Angel_Leaguer 10-16-2008 04:18 PM

I dont like circus acts in the least bit. The horse is too small for what it is carring and it is scared...

TxHorseMom 10-17-2008 11:31 PM

That poor horse looks terrified. I don't agree with it at all. The weight is way too much too. Why do so many people get upset when an overweight person rides a horse but not a 300-500lb lion?