The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Was thinking of this... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/thinking-160921/)

morganandme 03-24-2013 12:38 AM

Was thinking of this...

This is just a thought probably will never happen just wondering:P
My thought was that you take a school bus and make it into a horse trailer/LQ so you drive the bus!! Haha you would make the back door a ramp or something!! Crazy I know... Has anyone else thought of this!! I think it would be totally amazing!!!

SouthernTrails 03-24-2013 07:19 AM

It would be interesting, but the ramp would have to be 20' long as the Bus is so tall......

Jake and Dai 03-24-2013 07:42 AM

It does sound like an interesting idea. I clicked on this hoping to see a picture of someone who had done it! LOL

Phly 03-24-2013 09:10 AM

In theory, not a bad idea. You could dump the air in the rear air bags to dramatically lower it for loading and unloading. And or possibly use a lift gate to load and unload.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 03-24-2013 10:13 AM

The Park manager where I used to work had one. The front of the bus he made into a camper and the back was the trailer, He drove it all over, He had to make sure there was a place to unload though, a lot of campgrounds and parks used to have mounds of soil with a railroad tie wall built into the mound on one side, and it was used as a ramp.
He built one at the park where we worked. I think it is still there.
The ramps are not around much any more, I guess since trailers are built differently, they are either low to the ground or have their own ramp.

hemms 03-24-2013 12:00 PM

Across the pond, many of their 'floats' are quite high off the ground. Friends of ours had a semi with LQs that hauled 6. That was a narrow ramp and the horses figured it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

ladygodiva1228 03-26-2013 10:23 AM

There is a farm in RI that converted a full size school bus into a horse bus. They used it for their drafts.

albertaeventer 03-28-2013 04:28 PM

While it is a very interesting idea, I think you'd run into a lot of problems trying to get insurance on a homemade rig like that!

Roadyy 03-29-2013 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
not really, albertaeventer.
Here you can register it as a recreational vehicle like you would a camper. There are a lot of people who convert them for hauling off road vehicles while making the interior into a camper. I've seen several in the parks where I drive my built up Jeep.

Here is one picture example.

Attachment 142537

most of the guys I've ridden trails with with cut off the body across the last 12-15' and close in the front half to make the LQs. It works great for a weekend sleeping area out of the weather since most of the day you are out on the trails.

waresbear 03-30-2013 10:50 PM

Unfortunately in this province, you need different classifications on your driver's liscence to operate those vehicles.