The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Grrr! Crazy mare in heat! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/grrr-crazy-mare-heat-160969/)

Tessa7707 03-24-2013 03:16 AM

Grrr! Crazy mare in heat!

I haven't had this horse long, and today she came into heat for the first time I have had her and OH MY GOOD GRACIOUS!!! This horse is rediculous. Flipping up her tail and squirting at anything that moves. Totally distracted, impatient, irritable. She will pay attention if absolutely made to but it is such a pain. I'm going to call my vet on Monday and see about maybe getting a depo shot. What other options do I have? I've heard of raspberry leaf I think? I'm down to add something to her feed. I also heard something recently about a marble in the uterus? Help!

PaintHorseMares 03-24-2013 07:45 AM

Nor much help, but in my experience, the first couple cycles of the spring are usually the worst for mares like this.

Bellasmom 03-24-2013 09:31 AM

I've talked to my vet about a marble in the uterus. He said it can be effective for up to maybe six months, some mares will push it out much sooner. I'm really considering getting my mustang mare spayed....permanent solution for a mare that I will never breed. I've priced that option at around $300 in my area. Looked at Regumate, but WOW!, had no idea it was so expensive.

SlideStop 03-24-2013 09:44 AM

I say if you can just leave her be for a little while do that. When she is starting to be less moody after a week or two back to light work. It's a cycle, it will get better as it fades out. Usually takes about 20 days. If it goes beyond a month then I would look into a depo shot. Honestly, it all comes along with having a mare. Just like a stallion they have the urge to breed as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

trailhorserider 03-24-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 2009473)
I say if you can just leave her be for a little while do that. When she is starting to be less moody after a week or two back to light work. It's a cycle, it will get better as it fades out. Usually takes about 20 days. If it goes beyond a month then I would look into a depo shot. Honestly, it all comes along with having a mare. Just like a stallion they have the urge to breed as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not all mares are like that. I got really lucky and got a mare that you can't even tell if she is in heat. I think I've noticed her in heat maybe 2-3 times in 3 years and only because I was riding her with a friend's horse and she "showed" to the other horse.

So I'm really of no help to the OP, sorry. :-( But I just wanted to say not all mares are moody. I've known a few others that were not as well. It seems to be maybe a 50/50 split between mares that REALLY come into heat and those that are more subtle and may not even show except to another horse and are generally no problem at all. I actually have very limited experience with mares (having only one) but my friends have mares as well and some are great all the time and some are moody. One is actually sweeter to other horses when she IS in heat. And is cranky when she isn't. So who knows about those girl horses! :lol:

BarrelracingArabian 03-24-2013 03:27 PM

My trainers black mare is terrible right now. Constantly in and out of heat and to make it worse she is protective of the pally mare. She has kicked the crap out of any horse that came near them and acts like a complete hussy. We cant turn her out without the others when she is as she gets dangerous to herself and others. So she's being taken to the vet to see what to do.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-24-2013 03:52 PM

Try Wendell's Herbs, #31 Mare Mood herbs. They have raspberry leaves and several others that are used to even out hormones.

SlideStop 03-24-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhorserider (Post 2011217)
Not all mares are like that. I got really lucky and got a mare that you can't even tell if she is in heat. I think I've noticed her in heat maybe 2-3 times in 3 years and only because I was riding her with a friend's horse and she "showed" to the other horse.

So I'm really of no help to the OP, sorry. :-( But I just wanted to say not all mares are moody. I've known a few others that were not as well. It seems to be maybe a 50/50 split between mares that REALLY come into heat and those that are more subtle and may not even show except to another horse and are generally no problem at all. I actually have very limited experience with mares (having only one) but my friends have mares as well and some are great all the time and some are moody. One is actually sweeter to other horses when she IS in heat. And is cranky when she isn't. So who knows about those girl horses! :lol:

Of course there are the mares you pretty much forget about them being mares. There are also stallions you would swear to geldings. It's not abnormal for them to get like that, its natural. It sucks, but thats what happens when you keep intact animal. Now of she was a raging lunatic and dangerous or had a prolonged heat then I would say depo her up. This case sounds like the OP's horses cycle is more inconvenient then anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 03-24-2013 04:15 PM

Mare Magic, its raspberry leaves. Mine is an absolute spaz without it. It won't do you any good this cycle but it will for the next one. You must feed it everyday. I feed it year round.

Critter sitter 03-24-2013 04:17 PM

we had good luck with mare magic she would still squirt here and there but was much better behaved and had better attention. Oh And the bag lasted over a year.