The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   What do you think of my mare's confo? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/what-do-you-think-my-mares-161081/)

RhythmandRoses 03-24-2013 11:56 AM

What do you think of my mare's confo?

Just curious of what you guys think. :)

She is a chestnut Saddlebred, 20 years old. :)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...98665860_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...53051763_n.jpg

Let me know if you need better pictures. :)

Also, what do you think of her pedigree? Just for kicks and giggles. :D

Black Rhythm And Roses Saddlebred

Wheatermay 03-25-2013 12:24 AM

IDK, I'm waiting on a critique too, but she's beautiful! :) I think she looks nice!

tinyliny 03-25-2013 01:13 AM

Her neck and shoulder are gorgeous. heart depth is great.
her canons are not as short as would be optimal, and her bone seems light to me, at least in the front. hard to tell because photo is on grass. Her hip length is not long, and the SI joint is a bit far back, and oddly "humped".

she shows by the thickened muscle on the underside of her neck that she has a habitual way of going that is probably with high head and possibley braced against the bit in a resistant manner.

I think she might be a tad overweight. I see butt pillows.

She is pretty, without a doubt.

RhythmandRoses 03-25-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2017961)
Her neck and shoulder are gorgeous. heart depth is great.
her canons are not as short as would be optimal, and her bone seems light to me, at least in the front. hard to tell because photo is on grass. Her hip length is not long, and the SI joint is a bit far back, and oddly "humped".

she shows by the thickened muscle on the underside of her neck that she has a habitual way of going that is probably with high head and possibley braced against the bit in a resistant manner.

I think she might be a tad overweight. I see butt pillows.

She is pretty, without a doubt.

Thanks for your critique! :D
I'll try to find a picture of her that's not a grass, all those pictures were just fun pics. :lol: And she is a real easy keeper. It's a curse and a blessing. :evil:

LadyDreamer 03-30-2013 01:25 AM

When parking her out, try not to go so far out. They shouldn't look like rocking horses, or foals standing for the first time all splayed out. How she is in the last picture makes her look broken in the middle. It shouldn't strain the back to park out. Their front legs should be as vertical as you can get with the hind out a bit. They should look like they are pushing up on their front end. It really accents the powerful shoulder and how the neck ties in. For good examples, look at some of the better stallions. With her build, I wouldn't park her out very far. Start her off square and then ask for just a little bit.

I like how compact she is.
Posted via Mobile Device

RhythmandRoses 03-31-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDreamer (Post 2071898)
When parking her out, try not to go so far out. They shouldn't look like rocking horses, or foals standing for the first time all splayed out. How she is in the last picture makes her look broken in the middle. It shouldn't strain the back to park out. Their front legs should be as vertical as you can get with the hind out a bit. They should look like they are pushing up on their front end. It really accents the powerful shoulder and how the neck ties in. For good examples, look at some of the better stallions. With her build, I wouldn't park her out very far. Start her off square and then ask for just a little bit.

I like how compact she is.
Posted via Mobile Device

ooh, okay. Whenever I park her out, she likes to stretch her legs faaaar out. haha, but I'll make sure to do what you said. :D

LadyDreamer 03-31-2013 08:46 PM

To get her to come forward, you can use a treat, or a target for her to touch her nose to. Make her streeetch her neck forward to come get it. Sometimes a good back stretch feels good, too, so she might just like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheLastUnicorn 04-02-2013 12:41 PM

I think she is cute. For 20 she looks great, she is a bit of a puff pillow (it seems to be a breed thing, appears most are easy keepers. LOL )

I like her back length, I love that she doesn't significantly lose strength through the loin. Her LS placement is not bad for the breed at all, especially a mare in the breed (for whatever reason ASB mares seem to get a bit further back than the stallions and geldings as a general rule). I like her hip, and general hindquarter build. I like her overall balance.

Her weak points are, she is a bit longer in the cannon than I like to see in any horse, and she is a bit light in bone - neither of those are "fixable"... Her neck shape could be improved by encouraging her to stretch it down and out - like many of her breed the natural neckset on her has encouraged her (probably most of her life) to go with her head in the air, which in turn has created the heavier muscling under her neck, she would likely have a nice neck shape if that were worked on.