The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Is This Hoof Bruised? Abscess? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-bruised-abscess-161113/)

lightning 03-24-2013 12:45 PM

Is This Hoof Bruised? Abscess?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello;

I was looking for some ideas as to what this could be in my horse's hoof. I had another thread "Need Opinions On My Horses Hooves" last month and got allot of good advice. I used another farrier and was happy with the results. It has been about 5 weeks since the new farrier trimmed her and put the wedge pads on the fronts and removed the rear shoes.Since then I had to have him out one time about 2 weeks ago when she bent one of her shoes. I called him the evening she did it and he came out the next morning. While he was there he checked all of her feet and trimmed a little, but did not remove or replace the shoes on the fronts other than to fix the one that had been bent.

He said he doesn't want to remove the shoes if he doesn't want to because he doesn't want her to have any more nail holes in her hooves. He is hoping to get her barefoot on all four. At least that is the goal. Please see previous thread for pictures of how bad her feet were.

She over-reaches so she has to wear bell boots on the fronts all the time. I do remove them daily when I clean her feet to be sure everything is okay. Lately it has been dark when I have been doing her feet so I may not have noticed this had it been there earlier than yesterday. Yesterday I saw what looks like a crack on the hoof wall (see pic) and this purple pink line on the other hoof (see pic).
I called the farrier and he will be out Monday morning to check her feet. He said from the pictures I sent him it should be okay for me to ride her.

I am thinking that maybe her hoof is sore because when I am riding she will kind of do a bigger step with her left front every now and then. If she continues to do it I get off of her and check her for rocks in the hooves.

She is also a horse that will paw at the ground if she feels she has been tied to long. I do notice that she doesn't like to be on the cement and will inch her way off of the cement onto the dirt when tied and she stands on a hill with her front feet down and her rear feet up. There is a steep path right next to where she is tied.

TMI sorry. I also am sorry I didn't get better hoof pictures but it was the best I could do last night.
I tried feeling for heat but the way my brain works I have already talked myself into feeling heat everywhere. So, I got a laser surface temp checker that I will try today and compare it to the other hooves.
Thank you in advance.

lightning 03-24-2013 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another picture of the hoof with the crack in it.

KeroKero 03-24-2013 05:37 PM

The purple line just looks like bruising to me from separation, and the crack is the same issue with a different symptom - the cause is the loooong hoof walls. This horse is in bad need of a trim! If this is the growth after 5 weeks, then the cycle needs to be bumped down, may every 3 weeks until recovery. Did you farrier say why she can't go barefoot now? What do the shoes to do prevent over-stepping?

farmpony84 03-24-2013 06:15 PM

I don't know if it's the picture angle that is making your horses hooves look very odd to me or what.

Can I ask why he put her in wedge pads? I'm just curious what's going on with her.

The crack doesn't look like anything to be really concerned about and I think the pink is probably a bruise but nothing huge...

loosie 03-24-2013 06:46 PM

Is that heel as long & crushed as it looks? Is that why the wedge pads? Are they rim pads or is there frog support too? Looks like they could be a little short. Appears to be a number of things going on with that foot, & needs a good trim, but not sure what you're after & need better pics if you want a critique.

lightning 03-24-2013 09:14 PM

Hi I'll try to get some better pictures I don't know if you saw the pictures of her before on the other thread It's hard for me right now because my phone screen is broken. From what I understood he wanted to get her heals up off the ground because they were so contracted and the sole very stretched out with a super long toe. I did read the link on natural hoof care. send that send that 1 shoe he did trim them a he did trim them a little. the Wedge pad is

lightning 03-25-2013 03:25 AM

And the above post is why I hate the talk to text thing on my phone!! That made no sense at all.

I couldn't get any pictures today due to my stupid phone being broken.

My horse was trimmed by her owner for many years and I was told she did a horrible job with long uneven toes and no heels. When I got her she had not been done in a long time, and she had some abscess going on and very bad thrush up inside the hoof. She had deep cracks and major chips in her long toe hooves.

That was around a year ago. I just didn't know any better and listened to an experienced (40 yrs) farrier when he said she needed shoes. I used him twice until he hit her with a hammer, then I didn't use him anymore.

My barn owner and several of her boarders recomended farrier #2. He told me farrier #1 didn't understand angles etc and he would try to fix her feet. He said she needed clips on her shoes etc. I was going to get rid of him after about 5 to 6 months because I thought her feet looked horrible. My new trainer (at that time) and my new vet (at that time) both said farrier #2 was great and was doing a good job on some very bad feet. So, I kept him an additional 4 months.

This farrier, #3 was doing another horse at the ranch and the other horses owner asked him to look at my horses feet and he did. Once I heard everything he said about my horses feet I posted pictures on here to get everyones opinion. I called farrier #3 and had him do my horses feet within a few days.

Farrier #3 said that he needed to get her heels off the ground and wanted to take her rear shoes off. The goal he said was to have her barefoot all four within 3 trims if he could. He mentioned something about the break over and her walking toe first and also that her foot was way to far foward. He said she was walking on her heels and that he needed to get the heels off the ground for now.

After farrier #3 she felt much better. He did say that her feet hurt and would be a bit sore. He also said her hooves were actually much more healthy than he thought they would be. There were many old nail holes in all of her hooves and he said the goal was to keep the front shoes on as long as able since he didn't want additional holes in her feet.

The wedge pads he put in are open in the center so the frog is able to be cleaned out etc. He has me keeping bell boots on her so she doesn't pull off her front shoes. She over reaches when she trots and canters.

He did her feet for the first time 2/13/2013. Around 3/13 my horse bent one of the front shoes. He came out the next day and replaced the shoe and customized some bell boots for her. He also checked her other feet and trimmed them again. He said her "angles" were holding up much better than he thought they would. He also warned me that her feet would chip where the old nail holes were as there were so many.

He is going to be looking at her in the morning and doing another trim then. I will post pictures afterwards.

Thank you

loosie 03-25-2013 04:52 AM

Hi,

OK, so someone like AC may give you some more food for thought on shoes specifically, but I'll give you my take on what you've said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightning (Post 2018385)
I was going to get rid of him.... both said farrier #2 was great and was doing a good job on some very bad feet.

Curious what made you want to/eventually ditch him then?

Quote:

Farrier #3 said that he needed to get her heels off the ground and wanted to take her rear shoes off. The goal he said was to have her barefoot all four within 3 trims if he could.
Yes, if her heels are that crushed, relieving them from ground pressure, such as 'floating' the heels can be part of the 'fix' to allow them to relax down & return to a more upright structure. With wedge pads, &/or if the frogs are otherwise receded from the ground, frog support is important. I'm imagining by the look of it, her heels are also very contracted & weak too though, so I'd definitely be getting some support & protection under them, which will also help spread the load on the heels.

If he wants her bare, why does he believe shoes are necessary now then? I ask because I have found it's generally easier & quicker to address run forward feet & crushed heels without shoes. Can be a long job though - possibly far more than a few trims, and depending on how long/how bad the contraction & crushing, you might never expect them to become that great.
Quote:

the goal was to keep the front shoes on as long as able since he didn't want additional holes in her feet.
Disagree with that 1000% especially as her feet are already run forward to begin with. The longer they go between trims, especially being peripherally loaded, the more run forward they'll become - or at least he will be chasing his tail having to 'correct' things each trim, rather than maintaining & progressing gradually. Nail holes are a minor 'side effect' of shoes, especially compared with overdue trimming.

lightning 03-28-2013 12:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi;

Sorry about the delay in responding. I have been having cell phone issues and computer issues.

I tried to get the best pictures I could but the screen on my phone is broken and I can't look at them until I get home and realized I got allot of good pictures of my thumb and not much else.

The farrier came out on Monday. He said to wait 2 weeks then he will reset the front shoes. He said after that we may be able to get her barefoot in the front as well. If I understand him right, he says there isn't enough good hoof to have her barefoot on front too.

I noticed the crack in the heel bulb yesterday. I sent him a picture (on a friends phone) and he said that it was normal. I think it is split up really high and it concerns me. I asked if I could ride her and he said yes, but I am thinking of canceling my lesson for Friday morning. She is not lame at all.

Thank you

Trinity3205 03-29-2013 02:13 AM

Those are terrible IMO. Way too long and crushing forward with the heels. I dont get the wedges at all on these feet. Unnecessary and just adding to the heel problem. It appears the left fore is also broken back but the right from what I can see is not. Note how the horses front legs are camped under the body? Thats because of the heels/wedging. Do you see the light shine mark on the side of the foot in the last picture there? Its shining off a bulge in the wall there. See how its angle is off from the toe angle? Thats because it is crushing and bulging out there under the strain gof the horses weight on an improperly balanced foot. Dead giveaway. Uncrushed heels dont bulge the quarters like that. See how the coronet band is shaped like an upside down U? Also due to the heels bowing the coronet around and under basically as the heels crush forward pulling it with it.

Not enough foot huh? I guess all he has in HIS toolbox is a hammer and steel. Nail holes are never a worry for me. They are irrelevant.

BTW, it IS possible the owner who was self trimming was doing a GOOD job. Not every horse has identical feet and making them identical on the outside may be in their worst interest. Short heels are GOOD BTW. Long heels cause navicular issues.