The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   Stallion behaviour 'n' stuff (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/stallion-behaviour-n-stuff-161281/)

Cherrij 03-24-2013 05:57 PM

Stallion behaviour 'n' stuff

Hey guys. I need some experienced thoughts about this matter.
I am planning on purchasing a stallion, he will be 3 this May. He will be kept on 24/7 turnout with a gelding at all times. only the pair of them on the property, no more horses.
He will stay a stallion, even though I do not really plan to breed him, might in the future if he turns out to be valuable for our breed.
However, I was wondering, those who have had experience with stallions,
how does it affect their future behaviour if they have been breeding before they have reached the age of 3 yrs?
He is very gentle, cuddly and nice. All seems good, my friend is going to check him out soon and we know how to handle stallion, enough experience to want out own. No need to give me lectures about gelding every horse who isnt intended for breeding.
The main question is how the early breeding experience will affect his future behaviour? I mean I have worked with a stallion on the same property where he could see and smell mares in heat, ones he had covered and ones still to cover, and he was fine, ofc some male bravado behaviour, but still very gentle... just wondering.

Bellasmom 03-24-2013 06:08 PM

IMO, the single most powerful influence on a stallion's behavior is the handler. Regardless of breed, age, breeding experience....every well mannered stallion I've known has had the benefit of a knowledgable handler. If he is a sweet natured boy, he should stay that way IF you know what you are doing.

Cherrij 03-24-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellasmom (Post 2013553)
IMO, the single most powerful influence on a stallion's behavior is the handler. Regardless of breed, age, breeding experience....every well mannered stallion I've known has had the benefit of a knowledgable handler. If he is a sweet natured boy, he should stay that way IF you know what you are doing.

Thanks for the input. I have changed the behaviour or many horses, I had to handle quite a macho type stallion this summer at work - he would ignore personal space, prance about when being led, try to nibble and bite when being cleaned or when box was being cleaned - strict rules in the box and calm, but strict behaviour around him made him walk like a puppy with me. When I pointed that out to the rider, he just said - he is sniffing mare hoofprints.. but I knew it was not it. cuz first week or so he used to rear up near mare boxes, and then he would just walk nicely :)

waresbear 03-24-2013 06:20 PM

Yes it can affect his behaviour, like fight to the death with that gelding you plan on turning him out with. All it takes it a whiff in the air and he think he smells a mare, and the gelding is a competitor which means drive him off or kill him if he fights back.

Cherrij 03-24-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2013657)
Yes it can affect his behaviour, like fight to the death with that gelding you plan on turning him out with. All it takes it a whiff in the air and he think he smells a mare, and the gelding is a competitor which means drive him off or kill him if he fights back.

As said, no mares around for miles. The gelding is also very gentle and calm - atm lives with mares and one baby stallion, and a gelding, no problems caused. Used to be stallion till last spring, never caused any problems.

waresbear 03-24-2013 06:26 PM

I wouldn't risk it, but its your choice.

Left Hand Percherons 03-24-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherrij (Post 2013505)
He is very gentle, cuddly and nice.

Thinking about a stallion in these terms will get you in trouble big time.

Cherrij 03-24-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 2013753)
Thinking about a stallion in these terms will get you in trouble big time.

Well, all the cuddly stallions I handled never got me in trouble. They are not vicious monsters to be scared of.
I know I can handle one, and of course I will never be careless etc..

on the other hand, forgot to say, I know a stallion being turned out with geldings, there are mares on the property, he never caused problems.
He used to be on a pasture next to the mares he was to cover or had already, and the mares broke the fencing got him with them, but he just stayed away most the time.
And our breed is known for very gentle characters in all mares and stallions

waresbear 03-24-2013 06:34 PM

So, you want someone to tell you it's ok? Ok, go ahead.

Lins 03-24-2013 06:38 PM

Out of curiosity, what is "our breed"?
Posted via Mobile Device