The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Filling pocket behind shoulder (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/filling-pocket-behind-shoulder-161497/)

Horseychick94 03-24-2013 10:06 PM

Filling pocket behind shoulder

My QH has a pocket behind each shoulder blade and I would like to have it fill in somehow. Any suggestions?

waresbear 03-24-2013 11:52 PM

A pocket? I am confused? You mean an indentation? How are you supposed to fill that in? With collegan implants?

GamingGrrl 03-25-2013 12:15 AM

It sounds like it could be the muscling wasting away from a too narrow saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 03-25-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2017321)
A pocket? I am confused? You mean an indentation? How are you supposed to fill that in? With collegan implants?

I think the OP has a genuine question and I would hardly consider that a genuine answer, especially from a real horse person who knows a lot about riding and muscling a horse. Wanna give it another go for real this time?

waresbear 03-25-2013 01:59 AM

Ok I will try again, I am confused though? What pockets are you referring to? Can you please post a picture? I know you cannot spot induce muscle on places that are indented if they are indented to begin with.

BlooBabe 03-25-2013 08:27 AM

It sounds like there is muscle wasting or lack of muscling behind the shoulder blade Do you want thing you can do to build up the shoulders? Working in sand, stepping over things not jumping but walking over and really making the horse lift their legs, and ground driving or pulling things will help build up the shoulders.

bsms 03-25-2013 09:10 AM

Some horses have a hollow area near the shoulder that is part of their build. Others may have a bad fitting saddle, or need exercise overall. Need pictures...

clippityclop 03-25-2013 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes I think the OP is talking about indentations (or lack of muscling) behind the shoulder just below the wither - would probably make the horse look very narrow-withered....

it could be a lack of calories, yes - muscle atrophy (hopefully not b/c you can't correct that) or just lack of working the right muscles - I've seen this on horses that are ridden upside down ...

Attachment 138305

Couldn't help it...LOL YOU know what I mean...:lol::lol::lol:

yes, we need some pics!

gottatrot 03-25-2013 09:19 AM

I have to say that MOST of the time this is due to poor saddle fit. If the horse is not being ridden, then it may be from lack of exercise or poor condition/low body weight.

Horseychick94 03-25-2013 09:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics. His prev owner said he has always been thin on top but I don't think he is normal