The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Attention, problem with feed! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/attention-problem-feed-161593/)

deserthorsewoman 03-25-2013 12:31 AM

Attention, problem with feed!

I found the following article on two other forums.

Cattle drug found in molasses-based feeds - News - Horsetalk.co.nz

One more reason to re-think feeding, I swear........ I, from now on, mix my own. With raw ingredients.:-(

spirit88 03-25-2013 02:14 AM

Ill stay with my plain oats and alfalfa pellets. Never have been a fan of feeds with molasses any way. And not a fan of purina feeds either more reason not to buy their feeds now..

deserthorsewoman 03-25-2013 10:43 AM

Exactly.
They state they have a molasses-soyoil mix they use on horsefeeds....quite interesting what all can he hidden in that:-(
I had feed made in that particular mill, but not mid February, thank heavens.

poppy1356 03-25-2013 11:02 AM

Oooo this turned into such a debate on my local FB group lol. I will stick with my alfalfa pellets and vitamin/mineral from now on.

(PS: Desert and Spirit, since you both know Lizzy from my threads, she is now plump on this diet, to the point where her butt is getting to some serious work once this snow is gone.)

jaydee 03-25-2013 11:18 AM

I don't buy anything with molasses in it.
DHwoman - we both grew up in the days before all the 'sweet feeds' came along and probably like me you fed oats & barley, grass pellets, straight chop and flaked maize (corn), sugar beet with no problems, it was actually only when my mare was fed a sweet feed mix for the first time that I experienced any problems with laminitis & IRS in one of my own horses
Poppy - great news on Lizzie, look forward to seeing some summer photos and hear of her progress

deserthorsewoman 03-25-2013 11:25 AM

Once she has her furcoat off, we need pics, poppy:-)

I had bags with mold through and through from Nutrena, have my doubts about super low NSC of TC Senior, it smells, looks and feels like straight molasses(might be just me, don't know), now Purina.....like I said, raw ingredients from now on.......

deserthorsewoman 03-25-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 2020169)
I don't buy anything with molasses in it.
DHwoman - we both grew up in the days before all the 'sweet feeds' came along and probably like me you fed oats & barley, grass pellets, straight chop and flaked maize (corn), sugar beet with no problems, it was actually only when my mare was fed a sweet feed mix for the first time that I experienced any problems with laminitis & IRS in one of my own horses
Poppy - great news on Lizzie, look forward to seeing some summer photos and hear of her progress

Exactly. Have you seen flaked corn anywhere here? I haven't.....
as I said, I'll go back to the good old days now. I used to feed soaked alfalfa pellets, a little wheat bran for the Ca:Ph ratio, oats for who could handle them, barley and flaked corn, 50 grams each soy and flax for the shine, a little oil and half servings of a vit/ min supplement, along with good grasshay. Everybody had his/ her ration and looked good. No metabolic problems ever. Horses were well fed, but not fat.
That time the only sweet feed available was "Reform Oats", rolled oats, wheat bran and lots of molasses, used only to get weight on a super hard keeper or to get sick horses to eat.

poppy1356 03-25-2013 11:39 AM

Oh she's shedding like a mad woman right now. Vet was very impressed with how she looked and that she didn't need sedation with her teeth :) I have a million pictures right now but she still looks like a fat llama so once that fur is gone you bet I will be updating with many, many pictures.

I can't wait until I can get her on my own property. I am amazed at what people think is good for horses. I wish so many of these feeds were just not made.

jaydee 03-25-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 2020265)
Once she has her furcoat off, we need pics, poppy:-)

I had bags with mold through and through from Nutrena, have my doubts about super low NSC of TC Senior, it smells, looks and feels like straight molasses(might be just me, don't know), now Purina.....like I said, raw ingredients from now on.......

I've bought bags of chop that was mouldy, had lumps of molasses in and was almost 'solid', I tried the Dengie Gold and I found stones in that that were large enough to choke a horse so I wont buy that any more either

deserthorsewoman 03-25-2013 11:48 AM

I tested several pelleted feeds once. Up to 40% SAND, sawdust also.....just to get the weight without spending on ingredients. I was always leary of pellets because of that, but here is not much whole grain mix, apart from Omolene and COB, which,I'm sure, has lower quality grains in it. The highest quality is sold " pure".....
Then, if I look at some low NSC feeds....lots of money for leftovers and dried grass. Irks me to no end....