The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   i just found this annoying... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-just-found-annoying-161793/)

horsesgs 03-25-2013 10:56 AM

i just found this annoying...

So i'm 14 and went to my mom's friend's daughter's 9th birthday party at a barn. so of course i was excited to ride and stuff. so i saddled up the horse i got to pick and told them i had horses of my own and stuff and so i put on the bridle and right before i got on someone held the reins so i thought maybe he liked to scoot away or something. but then (mind you this was the girl i was talking to about my horses) she LEAD ME on the trail ride. i mean really! i think i can handle a horse on my own! i was so embarrassed! i hate being lead! i felt like a baby! oh another thing was i couldn't even hold the reins! but when the trail was over she said the next ride ill let you have your reins. so i was all excited being able to ride by myself finally. NO she let me have the reins but attached a freaking lead rope to the horse and lead me -_- i was so PO!
*rant over*

Roadyy 03-25-2013 11:10 AM

Has she been to your place and physically seen the horses you say you have?

If not then to her all you proved to her is that you knew about horses, not that you knew how to ride and the liability isn't worth trusting your word.

horsesgs 03-25-2013 11:15 AM

i showed her pictures of them on my phone. one being me riding one.

Critter sitter 03-25-2013 11:24 AM

thats sucks.. but hey you have your own you can just go ride them :)

horsesgs 03-25-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critter sitter (Post 2020257)
thats sucks.. but hey you have your own you can just go ride them :)

i know its just fun to ride different horses sometimes :)

BlueSpark 03-25-2013 11:39 AM

sorry, but I dont blame them at all. So many times we've had young people come out to the farm and when asked they explain how they've been riding since they were toddlers, w/t/c no problem, ridden green horses for "trainers", etc, etc, only to find out they had only ridden dead headed school masters a handful of times and sat on a 4 year old at a frends house once.

the last time I took someones word for it, they ended up not knowing what they were doing, not listening, accidentally giving the horse all the wrong signals, cuing for a canter, panicing and bailing(spraining ankle in the process) and then telling everyone they knew that they had been bucked off. that was them riding a very safe advanced beginner level horse in the yard.(and they had heaps of pictures on their cell phone)

it may very well be that you are a very good rider, but with the amount of people that say they are when they really are not, stables need to be safe.

Island Horselover 03-25-2013 11:55 AM

I agree, I dont blame them either.... I have people coming riding at my place all the time and unless they have a lesson in the ring with me and show me how good they can ride I would never let them ride my horses on the trail by themself. Well ok, you are 13 you said but I guess the others were younger? You said the bday girl was 9 and I think at that age they should be lead on a trail ride, ok at your age maybe not but for liability reasons they just wanted to be on the safe side I guess... I never trust anybody about their riding skills by just saying something, showing pics or even have a reference, show me you can ride and I am more than happy to let you ride my horses...

horsesgs 03-25-2013 11:59 AM

i know i understand why but i was just annoyed because i DO know how to ride lol

AnalisaParalyzer 03-25-2013 12:18 PM

i hear ya op. ive been a "trainer" since i was 15, restarting a breaking horses. the last couple years ive been doing it professionally. If i go out someplace to ride, or show up to an auction or something surrounded by people who see a 22 yr old, 4'11, at 90lbs, people get nervous and feel like they NEED to babysit me the whole time. I very well know what im doing, but they dont know that, and i cant prove it, so its best to just understand they're doing they're job and let em go. Its irritating, but they gotta do what they gotta do.

Critter sitter 03-25-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsesgs (Post 2020321)
i know its just fun to ride different horses sometimes :)

I have a daughter your age.