The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Just Started Driving - Any Advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/just-started-driving-any-advice-161921/)

Diamond Sutcliff 03-25-2013 12:41 PM

Just Started Driving - Any Advice?

I'm so excited - I started driving!!! It's always been my dream to drive, and I'm so happy I've been given the opportunity!

I've only had two lessons so far, and they've been great. My instructor is great, the mare and I are becoming fast friends, and I feel on top of the world.

My instructor was in the gig for the first two lessons, the first as a given, and the second because there were people in the ring.

I'm getting the hang of staying off the wall, and I'm still a bit shaky on keeping Edie (the mare) straight. My instructor says I have good tension on the reins, though.

Edie is a Saddlebred, so there's a specific way to get her to trot in the show ring, but I'm not worried about that yet. We checked her in the first lesson, but my instructor only had me go fast, not make her up, you know??

I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Should I train to show?

And more importantly, does anyone have any advice for me?? And in general??

greentree 03-25-2013 05:12 PM

Is she a show horse? I ask because harness horses in the show ring really don't usually know how to steer, they just follow the rail. If you want to learn to steer, you will have to get them to let you drive out of the arena.

Are you in a Jerald cart that sits low to the ground, so you are looking at the horse's tail? If you are, you will really like getting to drive a cart where you sit up and look over the horse!!

Fun, isn't it?

Nancy

Diamond Sutcliff 03-25-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 2025353)
Is she a show horse? I ask because harness horses in the show ring really don't usually know how to steer, they just follow the rail. If you want to learn to steer, you will have to get them to let you drive out of the arena.

Are you in a Jerald cart that sits low to the ground, so you are looking at the horse's tail? If you are, you will really like getting to drive a cart where you sit up and look over the horse!!

Fun, isn't it?

Nancy

I think she is. I remember my instructor saying something about that.

I'm a reenactor, and the place I work can no longer support animals. We used to have someone bring his Belgians Fritz and Frank to drive loads of visitors around the woods, and I got so sit up with the driver while these massive sweeties pulled everyone around. So it was kind of the same thing.

Yep. If that's what a Jerlad cart is, then I drive one. It's so low, and yet I'm still to short to get in without pole vaulting in.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 03-26-2013 12:04 AM

LOL, agree with the bigger cart... I've been day dreaming of my meadowbrook hitting the road someday... Good luck to you! driving is very addictive pretty soon before you know it you have a couple carts and more bits of harness than you know what to do with. Im new too but, I feel like I've found where I belong corney as it sounds. Everyone I've spoken with who drive are all so nice and helpful.

4horses 03-26-2013 02:20 AM

Have fun! I just went to my first driving show with a Saddlebred. Let's just say he was like a different horse going into the arena!

Steering isn't too much of a problem in the show ring... Just make sure you can change direction and back up (depending on the class).

Taffy Clayton 03-26-2013 09:13 AM

Congrats. on your new adventure. I would love to see some photos of you and your horse driving.

churumbeque 03-26-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 2025353)

Fun, isn't it?

Nancy

She says it was a gig so I am guessing pleasure driving. Nice turnout by the way.

greentree 03-26-2013 08:59 PM

Thanks! I figured since she is not in the US, she may have another name for the cart.

Pictures would be awesome!!

Nancy

churumbeque 03-26-2013 09:18 PM

My gig is from Europe.
Posted via Mobile Device