The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   In need of Advice-Ladies! (Hair troubles) (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/need-advice-ladies-hair-troubles-162065/)

Horsequeen08 03-25-2013 04:07 PM

In need of Advice-Ladies! (Hair troubles)

So I guess this is where I should post this. I need help with my hair. I'm trying to grow it out, but after 2-3 weeks of getting it cut, the ends start splitting like crazy again. I've tried Suave and Aussie shampoo/conditioner. I had Aussie leave in conditioner for awhile but never really saw a difference. The "back" part of my hair tends to get tangled and frizzy, like around the base of my neck. It is semi-long right now, about to my armpit. Any tips or advice that you have used to get smoother and not-so-splitting ends?

Also note: I very rarely use heat on it, no blow drying or flat iron. On some occasions, maybe 4-5 times a month, I will curl or straighten it, but not often. I don't know why my hair keeps doing this, and it is really making me upset! Any tips or advice or products you've found work really well, please share! Thanks ladies!! :-)

NorthernMama 03-25-2013 04:46 PM

Hair oils and stay away from the conditioners. I have had much nicer hair ever since. Currently I am using Morrocan Argan oil. I have used Biosilk as well. I think I prefer the Morrocan Argan. It seems that they work better when I don't use a conditioner, except for the argan treatment cream.

How often do you wash your hair? With long hair, hopefully you can go down to 2 or 3 times a week. I never wash more than 3 x a week. Use corn starch or dry shampoo powder if you need an extra day and you're just at home anyway.Tie it up loosely when in the barn and put something over it to help keep the barn dusties out of it.

nvr2many 03-25-2013 04:51 PM

I use a smoothing cream. I will say that when you do put heat to it, add product. You need the product to take the heat and not your hair. If you do not use anything, that may be your problem.

Muppetgirl 03-25-2013 04:51 PM

I use biosilk and Moroccan oil too:) awesome stuff! As you can see in my avatar I have some pretty high maintenance locks! :)

Corazon Lock 03-25-2013 11:01 PM

For split ends, I think there's repairing treatments out there you can use. Even if you are trying to grow your hair out, make sure to get it trimmed regularly to cut off the split ends - healthier hair looks nicer and grows faster (that's from Seventeen magazine lol).

I use Biolage on my hair. Always have. Makes it shiny and nice without getting it oily. Instead of conditioner, I use a detangler. I have thin hair. I really hate it. :p

toto 03-25-2013 11:28 PM

TRESemmé - Split Remedy Shampoo customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

^ aint gonna make them go away but it helps keep them under controll.

Avoid too much brushing & brushing while wet-- it breaks the hair and causes split ends.
Diet has a lot to do with the health of your hair.
Over doing things like using hot tools can damage the hair.
Drying-- ringing the hair too hard can break it-- using the towel like youre tryin to start a fire, lol-- pulling out scrunchies-- using rubberbands or small hair ties or hair ties with metal clasps break the hair--hair sprays dry and break hair.

If you want long hair just wrap it in a bun and keep it there till its time to go to bed then let it down. Be careful how hard you brush and how long. Wash it and condition it with shampoo and conditioner that dont dry your hair out.

Horsequeen08 03-26-2013 01:18 AM

Thank you ladies!! I'm going to head to the store tomorrow and look into better hair care products. I just can't stand that two weeks ago I got it nice and freshley cut (not cheaply either.....) and yet now it's already drying out and splitting!! It's so frustrating!!!!

Roperchick 03-26-2013 01:21 AM

I just use Herbal Essences for Long hair...and its down to my butt, even though I have to put it in a bun every day it usually doesn't get to damaged. But when I was using suave or head and should ERS it was breaking like crazy.

faye 03-26-2013 06:40 AM

I Just wash mine everyday using herbal essences (the bright orange one) I dont use conditioner or anything else in my hair.

waresbear 03-29-2013 10:05 PM

Don't use store bought shampoos & conditioners, they are not good for delicate hair that tends to split at the ends (like mine). I only use salon products, and no split ends, yay!