The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   distorted confo long hooves (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/distorted-confo-long-hooves-162113/)

toto 03-25-2013 05:03 PM

distorted confo long hooves

http://images.craigslist.org/3Ec3Ma3...4513c31058.jpg

Am i insane, or is this horses feet so long its distorting her conformation (making her stand under herself) im on my phone but it looks like she has at least (in people shoes) a size 5/6 to me. Is it my phone or are her feet super long?

WesternRider88 03-25-2013 05:52 PM

Her hooves look very long to me.

toto 03-25-2013 06:10 PM

Thank you.

I asked about her feet being ungodly long and the 'owner' said she just got her feet done? :?

Do you know how long it would take to get this horses hooves back to what they should look like again?

Isnt it bad to ride a horse with this bad of feet?

DraftyAiresMum 03-25-2013 06:13 PM

Her toe is insanely long and it looks like her heels are underrun. If they just got her feet done, their farrier needs to be shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

WesternRider88 03-25-2013 06:17 PM

Just go her feet done!? Those look like they haven't been touched by a farrier in a long time!

And riding them with their hooves like that puts alot of stress on their ligaments.

toto 03-25-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 2026369)
Her toe is insanely long and it looks like her heels are underrun. If they just got her feet done, their farrier needs to be shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats what i was thinkin too--is it me or does it look like they rasped the lamina and then called it a day?

I might buy her out of pitty! :-( ..or maybe thats what they want?

DraftyAiresMum 03-25-2013 06:36 PM

Honestly, she looks like she'd be a great little mare with some correct hoof care. She's put together nicely and has a lovely, alert, willing look to her.
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 03-25-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternRider88 (Post 2026457)
Just go her feet done!? Those look like they haven't been touched by a farrier in a long time!

And riding them with their hooves like that puts alot of stress on their ligaments.

i was thinkin-- if she is that under herself it has got to be putting stress on all her joints. Especially the knees and fetlock joints.. i know her back has got to be ouchie too. :-(

toto 03-25-2013 06:39 PM

I liked the way she looks too-- just wish she had better care. I guess the people must be horse traders or somethin. I noticed they had a few different horses and say they all rope but never roped before? Hmm..

backyardhorse 03-25-2013 06:43 PM

As Western Rider 88 said, "riding with their hooves like that puts alot of stress on their ligaments". The tendons in the back of the leg have already stretched because of the increased toe length. If I were going to have the farrier get her right, I'd break it up into 2 or 3 trims, so that the tendons will return to normal length with less discomfort. HOWEVER, I wouldn't be afraid to do some light work with her (?) b-tween trims.