The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   horse saddle fit (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/horse-saddle-fit-16213/)

chasin the dream 10-18-2008 08:19 PM

horse saddle fit

ok i don't relly know anything about my horses saddle fit. how do you measure that? i am like 5"3 and weigh like 113..so wouldn't i be about a 15-16?but how do you measure your horse? right now the only saddle that i have access to that fits her is a 17..and that obviousely wouldn't fit me...but its the only one i can ride in so i need to know how to measure her and know what size i would be because i will probably be looking soon.within the next couple months.

NorthernMama 10-19-2008 10:10 PM

You can take a tracing of her withers and back with you to the tack shop and they will help you. Most places will let you return even a used saddle within a week if it doesn't fit your horse, but be sure to make that clear before you buy.

QtrHorse 10-20-2008 07:20 AM

If you are wanting to make an "investment" in a saddle, a good dealer who also fits would likely be happy to come out to your place with a variety of saddles for you and your horse to try. They should ask you all kinds of questions to find out what type of saddle will suit you and your horse best based on your individual aspirations. You can then make a good decision with a professional fitter.

iridehorses 10-20-2008 07:22 PM

I wish that tack shops were experts at saddle fitting, and some are but most really aren't. It is best to go there with some forms and have them match them up to their saddles.

As for you, sit in a few and your rear should come up to the cantle without being squished and you should have 4" of room between your tummy and the swell.

As for measuring your horse, try this method:

Got to the hardware store and get about 4’ of 12 or 14 gauge house wire (the kind electricians use to wire a house) and cut it in half.

Take 2’ and shape it over your horse’s withers. Take the other 2’ and shape it over the center of his back.

Carefully take the wires and trace them on a heavy piece of cardboard (or poster board if you have it). Cut out the cardboard shapes and take them to the saddle shop to fit against some saddles.

Keep in mind that QH bars in one saddle may not be the same in another brand. There are no standards for saddle trees so each manufacturer has his own idea what dimensions make the designations.