The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Therapeutic Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/therapeutic-riding/)
-   -   Saddle sores, how to cope. (http://www.horseforum.com/therapeutic-riding/saddle-sores-how-cope-162145/)

yidete 03-25-2013 05:15 PM

Saddle sores, how to cope.

I have been riding since the age 9. (23 now) Sadly I developed a severe knee displasya with muscle dystrophia and mild scoliosis, and have been given weird advices from doctors, so my riding has not been as regular as I would like to (year on year off pretty much) Finally I decided just to listen to my body and do as much as it's comfortable to do. For me it meant ditching saddles and stirrups.

For the last 3 or 4 years my basic riding equipment has been either totally bareback or, emmm, I really do not know the name in English, I will just try to explain. Firs on goes the saddle blanket (just a thin regular one), than a thinnish pillow like rectangular object with a seam running down the middle (along horse's spine), than an, emmm, belt like thing goes around (I mean, it has girth obviously, but the top part is about 4 inches wide, padded to sit nicely on horse's back and has a couple of D rings and two large sturdy handles attached) This is the usual equipment that my trainer uses for young kids/people with special needs (ehh, actually only equipment other than dressage saddles she owns) EDIT:I think I found the name for the thing, think it's ''surcingle'' Looks a bit like this one http://www.google.lv/url?sa=i&rct=j&...64332805292883

Two summers ago everything was sweet. I was 20kg (40 lb) overweight but on strict regime, lots of workouts, regular riding, had built up both agility and a bit of muscle mass, felt great. I could ride totally bareback without a single sore for a hour, walk, trot, canter.

I had a break for a year as I had trouble with university, now I'm trying to pick it up. The problem is, I have lost those 20kg and most of the muscle, my cardiovascular system is puny as, but, oh well, that happens, I know, with some patience I can build it back, but there is one thing hindering me.

Pain in the bum... Literrally

Since I have lost that weight and muscle, I get a horrible saddle sore on my tailbone. The horses I ride both have very steady gait and good, comfortable backs (no sawlike spines, they are pretty plump), my seat is good, maybe a fraction of a degree off to left side, but less than any rider with scoliosis and legs of different lengths would be expected to have. I do not wear g-strings to ride (did that once a few years ago, never again) I get a popped blister every time, that makes riding too painful after mere 20 minutes.

Obviously it's hard to build up skill if you only can practice for 20 minutes in a row, but, well just biting my lip and trying to endure does not work either as it gets too painful to do my backwork properly and I unintentionally start slacking.

Are there any ideas how to solve this or make it a bit more bearable?

Critter sitter 03-25-2013 05:28 PM

Welcome to HF
my daughter has scoliosis at a 45% curve and a 25% curve. She rides and does get sore some times She uses a barrel saddle "conforms to her body "and we have regular Chiropractor visits

Critter sitter 03-25-2013 05:29 PM

also sorry your link did not work

Golden Horse 03-25-2013 05:40 PM

I know how painful it is to get saddle sores, not much fun.

I would suggest something like this to wear Padded Shorts for Her to help protect the area.

Depending on exactly where you are getting the sore, you could try rubbing with surgical spirit to toughen up the skin, but you don't want to use it on broken skin, or to get it directly in any more errr delicate places.

Don't be shy in discussing this with your trainer, she may have something else that she can put on the horses back that will help as well.

yidete 03-25-2013 05:54 PM

http://www.frontrangehippotherapy.co...-Surcingle.jpg this link should do the job

Well, I talked to the trainer, she's out of ideas as well, only thing we could think of was doubling the pillow-thingie, but it makes the whole thing hideously unstable and honestly, not much better. We are on tight budget, but those shorts look like they might help a fair bit and not blow my budget. (I doubt if we can afford any new equipment like a saddle, as my mom and the trainer just split a cost of a dressage saddle, that wasn't cheap at all, I'm afraid even to think how much something less traditional would cost, but generally I'm willing to consider it for the future)

I get those booboos right on my tailbone and it takes more than a week for them to heal up properly. I go through tubes and tubes of nappy rush cream as it seems to be the only thing that helps healing....

Golden Horse 03-25-2013 06:13 PM

How about something like this

Geo-Tech 1.5" Memory Foam Mattress Topper - Walmart.com

You could cut a mattress size piece into several pads, and they would not add bulk, but may give you the padding you need. Memory foam hold in teh heat though, but if you are only riding for a short time it shouldn't give problems to either horse or rider

toto 03-25-2013 06:22 PM

I loved doing my vaulting lessons as a kid, because we got to ride with the vaulting surcingle.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3525/3...6d7_z.jpg?zz=1

What kind of saddle do you ride... English or western?

natisha 03-25-2013 08:40 PM

What about trying a thick sanitary pad? (People pad not horse pad)

faye 03-26-2013 07:08 AM

Have you tried one of these? They are designed for use on Shettie but I know a lot of para people who have used them with success (they make them bigger on request)
Saddle Pads

Also Get some cycling shorts to put on under your jods.

Saddlebag 03-26-2013 08:12 AM

It's cheap and it should help. Panty hose. Saddleseat riders swear by them.