The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Best grooming products you've used (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/best-grooming-products-youve-used-162233/)

tbcrazy 03-25-2013 08:23 PM

Best grooming products you've used

With Spring here, where I'm at, mud season is as well :/ What are some of your favorite products/remedies you all have used for de-tangling and conditioning? I've used Showsheen, Laser Sheen, Vetrolin, and Mane N'Tail de-tangler- none of them really knocked my socks off, as I felt like I had to use a lot of product to achieve the desired results with my horses' thick hair. I've used the super concentrated Cowboy Magic and liked that. Anyone try EcoLicious or Canter products?

LexusK 03-25-2013 09:08 PM

I swear by cowboy magic and sante fe coat conditioner (and the fact that it smells amazing!). Lately I have been pinching my pennies so I have been making my own detangler (2 squirts conditioner, 2 tbsp baby oil, and fill the bottle with water) and it has been working just as well as the store bought detangler :)

tbcrazy 03-25-2013 09:18 PM

Ohhh that's a great idea- it would be easy to add a couple drops of essential oil and voila! Fancy detangler haha
Posted via Mobile Device

LexusK 03-25-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbcrazy (Post 2028473)
Ohhh that's a great idea- it would be easy to add a couple drops of essential oil and voila! Fancy detangler haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly! Totally customizable :)

tbcrazy 03-25-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexusK (Post 2028513)
Exactly! Totally customizable :)

:) brilliant!

Cinnys Whinny 03-25-2013 09:54 PM

Cinny's tail hair is sort of that weird, kinky texture that corkscrews back on itself so if you look at it funny, he doesn't' just tangle, he gets dreadlocks! I have found the only way to keep his tangle free is to keep it wrapped.

HorseCrazyTeen 03-26-2013 01:47 AM

When my horse has big tangles I love Cowboy Magic detangler. It works so well and I can get even a dreadlock out pretty quickly. Otherwise I use Fructis Sleek and Shine leave-in conditioner to keep the mane and tail healthy. My horse's mane and tail have grown A LOT with the help of that stuff.

My favorite grooming tool ever is this Grooma Rake: Grooma Rake - Grooming Tools from SmartPak Equine My horse has a two-foot long mane plus a tail that now would be dragging the ground if I didn't trim all the time. This tool makes combing all of her hair out take a less than a third of the time than if I use my fingers or a mane comb. It doesn't tear the hair out and it's pretty sturdy, too. It's lasted me a couple years so far with no signs of wearing out. I also use it on my bunny's sometimes-matted fur. Love it!

Klassic Superstar 03-26-2013 01:54 AM

Yes cowboy magic!! I also am in love with the ferminator you normally use on dogs...works great for shedding season!
Also love the rubber curry combs with rubber like prigs, grabs and holds dirt and shedding hair beautifully!
For brushes, I go with a sturdy britstle brush for the crud and poo after the curry then the nice horse hair soft dandy brush for the last go over!

goingnowhere1 03-26-2013 07:08 AM

I am in love with Eqyss products. I just started working with an amazing horse who was put out to pasture because he couldn't move up in dressage any longer. His mane is almost to the bottom of his neck, and his tail is short but extremely tangled. I used two squirts of gel detangler and bam his tail was perfect. I used avacado spray for his mane and it detangled nicely.
For skin conditions (whatever they may be) I use the topical stuff which works like a charm, and in the summer (when they have shedded out) I use the marigold spray which deflects flies and brings an amazing smell and shine to their coat. I love all of their products... as you can probably tell.

Saddlebag 03-26-2013 07:49 AM

My shetland's tail would go in to dreadlocks. I was told to try Endust, with the yellow cap only (furniture polish). We sprayed it on the tail as best we could, wetted our hands to work it around then started combing from the bottom. 10 min was all it took. We've also used WD 40 on a similar mane, same process, it was comed out in about 15 min. By dampening the tail or mane every few days it seemed to reactive the products. If you try this, don't keep using it, either one, or you create a gummy mess.