The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Bonding with a "made" horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/bonding-made-horse-162241/)

WoahHorsie 03-25-2013 08:27 PM

Bonding with a "made" horse?

I've been casually looking at horses lately to get an idea of what's on the market. I've had something younger in mind, like a 6-8 year old I could work on but not be overwhelmed with. I also want a horse I can establish a good bond with and ride for many years, eventing included.

Anyways I found a stunning horse. She's beautiful, experienced, and just...beautiful! She has the most amazing jump and did I mention she has looks to die for? But her stunning looks aren't the only thing going for her. Unfortunately she's 10 years old and has tons of experience. She almost seems easy! I've heard of plenty of people that have gotten a horse too difficult for them, but is it possible to get something too easy? Also, she's a hunter jumper and I want an eventer. Is it too late to turn her around and compete her in eventing for a couple years?

My biggest fear is that his horse will be "set" or something. She's super experienced in the hunters, so will bonding or turning her around to eventing be difficult? Will I get bored? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

WesternTale 03-25-2013 08:30 PM

theres always something new to work on with a horse, try teaching her something she doesnt already know.
Posted via Mobile Device

cowgirl4753 03-25-2013 08:41 PM

I've been training horses for many moons now and have always liked the project horses. But my husband found a deal on a gelding, ex show, horse lady changing disciplines thing. Anyways I have started riding him and I LOVE him. He's so easy to get along with knows loads of stuff and does it with the slightest ask. I am having so much fun playing around with him and just enjoying riding instead of "working". So there is something to be said for working your own horse and getting them going, but its also nice to have a ride that you can just jump on and go!
On a side note he is 8 and I am thinking about making him my back up barrel horse. They are never to old to learn something and most enjoy the change of pace!
Posted via Mobile Device

~*~anebel~*~ 03-25-2013 08:52 PM

It takes about 1 year for a horse and rider to get used to one another. So if you do buy her, give it a full 12 months (unless there are dangerous issues) before deciding if you have "bonded" yet.
Buying a trained horse has it's benefits and drawbacks. The horse is already broke and shown and experienced, but she will not be trained to your body and your aids. This is another thing that will get better in your first year together. Even a completely unbroke horse will take about a year to get used to his new owners/riders/etc.. and to trust them.

So good luck! And I think if you don't have a lot of show experience, getting an experienced horse will be a better choice in the long run.

Muppetgirl 03-25-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 2028161)
It takes about 1 year for a horse and rider to get used to one another. So if you do buy her, give it a full 12 months (unless there are dangerous issues) before deciding if you have "bonded" yet.
Buying a trained horse has it's benefits and drawbacks. The horse is already broke and shown and experienced, but she will not be trained to your body and your aids. This is another thing that will get better in your first year together. Even a completely unbroke horse will take about a year to get used to his new owners/riders/etc.. and to trust them.

So good luck! And I think if you don't have a lot of show experience, getting an experienced horse will be a better choice in the long run.

Yes....I've been discovering this....I've had my 'made' guy for six months....only now are we starting to find a good balance. :-)