The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Whats your opinion? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/whats-your-opinion-1623/)

chaz 04-22-2007 11:09 AM

Whats your opinion?

How would you disipline your horse? Would you use your voice or would you use some controlled force? Say for example your horse bites you.. would you tap it on the nose (some would say this leads to head shyness) or would you simply use your voice to make him aware your the boss. There are so many differences in opinion, i'm interested to know how others view this.

Jr_lover 04-22-2007 08:17 PM

uh i would give it a hard pop on the nose. I'm sry but when horses are in the wild and they show whose boss to each other they don't just voice it they express it. So pop the horse and get some respect is the way i go. I don't mean brutally popping the horse just a nice pop on the nose and then go on with your bussiness. I have popped Junior on the nose for biting me before and he has never done it again. Any other time though i would suggest pops on the butt or some other place like that. You should never always go for the nose. Only in a situation with biting would i pop Junior on the nose. That can make a horse very nose shy. I know some owners of him a while back used to switch him on the nose and thats how he got nose shy. Otherwise i would never pop Junior on the nose unless it dealt with him biting me or someone else.

~*Hunter_Gurlie*~ 04-22-2007 09:30 PM

i mainly use my voice to let them know i'm the boss and if they are going to kick or something like that then I would tap them on the leg.

Rachluvshorses4eva 04-23-2007 02:38 AM

If a horse did something I didn't want it to do I would normally say ahhh!
But if I wasn't riding and they bit me I would use my voice. But if a horse was playing around and bit me I wouldn't mind because he didn't mean it to hurt. I'd just chase after him and when I caught him I'd give him a scrub on the head and a big sloppy joe kiss! :D

crackrider 04-23-2007 08:12 AM

I use a combination of both. If a horse does something wrong i will use my voice to let them know they have done something wrong and then depending on what they did i will slap them lightly on the shoulder.

futolympeventer327 04-23-2007 11:32 PM

combination of both. People can't hurt a horse by hitting it with their hands and stay away from the horses face, think about horses kicking and biting eachother in the pasture. However I don't whack away at my horse for the littlest thing but biting is near the top of the list for me and it deserves a well placed smack on the nose. I'm more of a positive reinforcment type ground manners person though, I do spray bottles and horse cookies mostly.

victoriasmith 04-25-2007 05:00 PM

Other than shouting or physical reinforcement, there is always the option of complete and utter ignorance.

In the case of biting, consider why the biting. If he's seeking attention, ignoring him (thusly giving him nothing, and a lack of 'positive reinforcement' teaches him that biting will get him nowhere, and is pointless.
However, if he's biting in an attempt to assert what dominance he thinks he has, then often a good yell and scream'll do it. ( Note: Horses do vocalize displeasure and anger, with squeals and extended grunts. )
For the persistant biter, physical assertion of yourdominance is usually needed, but [i]always accompanied by a yell or loud 'No!', this way yelling becomes negative reinforcement without the physical contact.
-Remember that smacking/popping/pinching your horse around the head or muzzle is often seen as a game by younger fillies/geldings/colts, and evenmature horses. Just think how much of a giggle they get when they swing their head out of the way and you miss! (You think I'm kidding, but watch play in the field!) And then by the time you've taken a second swipe, he's forgotten what he did wrong! And then of course there's always the chance that you could seriopusly injure your animal if you catch his eye, or he swings his head and catches his hay rack/stable door/(insert other stationary object here).
-If you're going to smack your horse, the best places are the meaty areas around the neck/shoulders/chest.
-If a smack stresses your horse out too much, grabbing a handfull of the loose skin at his neck/shoulders and squeezing (which will pinch really hard by our standards, but in fact is less painful than an /actual/ horse bite.) Obviously not suitable if you have very long nails.
-NEVER smack a horse on the legs, back (spinal area), and your hand ( or in extreme cases, riding crop ) is enough! There should be no need to resort to broom handles or other heavy/solid objects.
-Remember! You are the horses pseudo-Alpha mare/stallion, and therefore should be respected as such!

Jr_lover 04-25-2007 07:10 PM

i only occassionally give Junior a treat whenever he is behaving really good. its not good to give your horse a treat often because with that comes the teaching of a horse to want to bite people wanting treats.

sparky 04-25-2007 09:45 PM

If Zan tries to bite me, she gets a smack on the shoulder and i growl at her, if she actually bites me, she gets a pop on the nose and an even bigger growl, while I dance crazily around her in pain.

savepitbulls 05-04-2007 05:46 PM

Before I sold my stud, he used to try to bite regularly. At first I tried smacking him for it but he got wise and started biting and then swinging his head away and I's miss (pissing me off that much more). After I realized that he thought it was a game I started putting the chain over his nose and popping the chain once whenever he started to bite. That actually worked alot better because he couldn't avoid it and the reprimand was more immediate. With babies that bite and don't know any better I use my voice and a quick jerk on the lead rope (without a chain) to correct them.