The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Selling and trading my horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/selling-trading-my-horse-16232/)

iridehorses 10-19-2008 10:25 AM

Selling and trading my horse

In another thread I talked about the paint horse I got a few weeks ago. Nice enough horse but is so dominant that he is beating the blazes out of my # 1 horse (Bobo - Lintons Hangin Judge - don't ask, I have no idea why anyone would name a horse that way).

In the other thread I talked about a trade that someone offered. Turned out to be an old gaited gelding that was about 250lb underweight and had no top teeth.

So I put an ad on Craig's List. I got calls from all over the place and most had no business owning a horse. I screen the callers before having someone come out to "kick the tires". I also want this horse going someplace with owners who know about horses. Most of the callers were told that this is not the horse for them.

Several people wanted to know if the horse was child safe - keep in mind the this is a 7 year old 15h horse that hasn't been ridden all summer - I mentioned that in the ad.
me: "Well maybe - tell me about the child".
caller: "Well she just turned 6 and this will be her first horse."
me: "6 years old? Don't you think that she may be better suited for a pony".
caller: "I know my child and she is fearless! We want her to learn on a horse".
me: "I'm sorry but this horse will not be proper for your child."
caller: "Then why do you call your horse 'gentle'?"
me: "Gentle doesn't not mean baby safe - thanks for calling goodbye."

Some people who called wanted to know if I would teach them about horses, some wanted me to board the horse and pay me on time (I'm asking $700). One person wanted to trade a 16.2h TB that they were afraid of. Someone wanted to take the horse for a month and decide (this would be their very first horse and they wanted to take lessons on him). I got a lot of calls like that then I got a call from someone from GA. A grandmother came out with her 11 year old grandson. They rode Patch bareback and offered to trade a 15 year old Arab and a pony for him. I'm leaning that way since I really only wanted a pony as a companion for Bobo. I'll see their horses this afternoon and decide.

Gingerrrrr 10-19-2008 10:40 AM

well i hope everything goes good and you like there Arab and pony!

kickshaw 10-19-2008 04:23 PM

hope all goes well!

iridehorses 10-19-2008 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys.

Well they got here. The Arab is about 14h and built like a tank. He is about 20 years old not 15 but in wonderful condition. The owner put a snaffle on him and rode him bareback around my field. He was very prancy but very manageable and settled down after a few min. He's gray with bloodspots, big boned, and pretty flashy.

The pony was ridden bareback also with only a halter. He's a dark silver gray, about 12.3 or 13h, and about 3 years old.

I think it was a pretty good trade! The following pic of the Arab is 3 years old but it could have been taken today. I'll get some fresh pics up tomorrow.

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-19-2008 05:57 PM

OH BILL!!! He's pretty!!! ( Hi, my name is Amy and I'm a grey-horse-aholic)

I think you made a good trade! How are they getting along with Bobo? Is it too early to ask that?

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-19-2008 07:18 PM

Bill great looking flea bitten grey you have!!
lol.....amy!!! i got the american livestock supply catalog and instintly thought of your guy's!!!!

3neighs 10-19-2008 07:22 PM

Oh yay! I'm so glad you were able to make a trade (after weeding out all the nut cases). You can't go wrong with an arab...then again, I'm biased. ;)

So will you be keeping the arab since you said you really just wanted the pony? Can't wait to see more pics!

iridehorses 10-19-2008 07:22 PM

Thank you! It's a little early but they are doing better on their first day then Bobo did with Patch. I just came in from checking on them and really looking over the new ones. The Arab is really stocky and big boned for his breed. I may actually enjoy riding him! The pony is a good size and an "in you pocket" type.

We'll see what happens over the coming week starting tomorrow when I let them out of the paddock but I think I made a good trade.

BTW, Charlie (the Arab) has bloodspots - how funny is that! (He may be available for some cookies if he doesn't work out)

FancyAppy 10-19-2008 07:40 PM

Wow! sounds like a happy ending for everyone. Good looking Arab

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-19-2008 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 296

These are my guys... I was serious about being a grey-horse-aholic :oops: