The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   vertical cracks about mid hoof? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/vertical-cracks-about-mid-hoof-162402/)

DreamOfDrafts 03-26-2013 12:41 AM

vertical cracks about mid hoof?

So my wee gelding has some cracks..literally showed up over night. I pick his feet everyday cause we are still learning so there weren't there last night, and were this morning. He has one about 3 inches long on the front right, one about 2 inches long on the front left, and feels like a ridge maybe one coming up on the back left. the go vertically across the hoof wall about mid way up.

He is a rescue, will be 2 in early May, and had his first trim ever in December. I cant reach my barefoot trimmer who has been working on him since I got him. Could this be a blow out from the old hoof? He isn't running as flamboyantly as he normally does, but doesn't seem to favoring any foot in particular and there is no pain from pressure or anything. He is sloughing some sole, and some frog as well. There is no heat that I can detect.

Any ideas? should I be hauling him off to the vet, or seeing a farrier stat? A friend suggested just moisturizing his feet daily and it will just grow out.

Trinity3205 03-26-2013 03:36 AM

Vertical cracks are caused by imbalance/overgrowth in the trim. The typically originate from the ground and travel up the tubules of the wall towards the coronet. Call a farrier in this case. It can mean the horse just needs a trim or the horse has an unbalanced foot.

Topical moisturizing will do nothing. Pictures would help for more info.

Unless you mean horizontal cracks (parallel with the ground) This description confuses me and makes me thing you meant horizontal, not vertical. "The(y) go vertically across(?) the hoof wall about mid way up. "

Horizontal cracks are often from injury or abscesses and possibly from other issues as well. Show us pictures. Again, topical moisturizing is a waste of time and can actually harm damaged wall further. Read here. You have to sign in but its quick and worth it. The Horse | Hoof Dressings: What Studies Show | TheHorse.com

loosie 03-26-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamOfDrafts (Post 2030858)
So my wee gelding has some cracks..literally showed up over night.

I suspect, if they're already half way down, they were there but perhaps got worse suddenly, which is why you missed them previously. Or perhaps he's got pretty funky feet anyway, so ridges & such are 'normal' for him & the cracks are just one small step more. Some good hoof pics would help us give you more than a guess though. Check out link in signature below.

I'm guessing you actually mean horizontal cracks, not that there are lots of vertical cracks? Could be abscesses that blew 3-5 months back on the coronary border, or a laminitic 'event'. Considering they sound reasonably major on all feet(albeit worse on fronts) at the same time period, if it wasn't a systemic laminitis attack, I'd say mechanical trauma(ie 'road founder') was likely if they were abscesses. Are the ridges around the whole circumference of the hooves? Are there other horizontal ridges or lines? Flares, etc?

Quote:

A friend suggested just moisturizing his feet daily and it will just grow out.
They will grow out. I would suggest ensuring the horse is kept well & frequently trimmed, and ensure there is not undue pressure on the walls while they are, to minimise possibility/severity of any breakages as they grow down closer to the ground. But I'd most definitely avoid any 'moisturisers'. Firstly, hooves don't need it & can't absorb it(yes, despite the advertising!) but also it's likely there may be infection present in the cracks(another reason for frequent farriery) which may have to be dealt with & treated, of which putting topical goop on will only make for a nicer environment for the bugs.

DreamOfDrafts 03-26-2013 08:23 AM

yup horizontal. sorry it was late and I was very very tired. will have pics this afternoon. didn't have my phone with me last night.

DreamOfDrafts 03-26-2013 08:47 AM

is there no way to change the title cause I feel extra rtarted today

Trinity3205 03-26-2013 02:42 PM

Its ok! lol Im dyslexic and I do the same thing sometimes. It took me a few minutes to figure out you probably meant the other way being dyslexic hehe. But no, you cant edit a post after I think 10 minutes? IDK why.

loosie 03-26-2013 05:22 PM

Don't worry, it's just like 'go left! go left! No! The other left!':lol: But as pedantic as I am about spelling, the 'rtarted' amused me!

spirit88 03-26-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamOfDrafts (Post 2032506)
is there no way to change the title cause I feel extra rtarted today

You can ask a moderator to change the title. They will do that for you other wise iam clueless.

DreamOfDrafts 03-27-2013 01:19 AM

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s0e1ff669.jpeg

this is the only pic I could manage today. will get more hopefully tomorrow night. When I can spend more time out there and he wont be moving around like a maniac for his noms.

I will fill in a brief history tomorrow with better pics of the rest of his feet. at the right angles lol. I totally checked out the link..after the fact.
Any and all advice appreciated and loved.

loosie 03-27-2013 01:43 AM

That's an abscess crack, which I'm guessing is due to a mechanical stress/bash at the coronet, rather than a systemic, laminitic 'event'. Hoof looks a bit weird & contracted, but hopefully just the angle.