The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Your Horse Is NOT Tri-colored.. It Is A Bay Paint. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/your-horse-not-tri-colored-bay-162618/)

HighonEquine 03-26-2013 12:12 PM

Your Horse Is NOT Tri-colored.. It Is A Bay Paint.

Seriously?!

"I just had this adorable tri-colored foal born yesterday. He is brown and white with a black tail. Isn't he just gorgeous?"

I grinned and Aw'd. I don't think it would have gone over well had I told my biology teacher that he did not in fact have a tri-colored horse.

Then a fellow student then went on to say he also had a tri-colored horse. I quote "She is brown and white with a little black in her tail and mane."

Face palm.

kenda 03-26-2013 12:28 PM

Well....technically, they do have horses who exhibit three different colours on their coats. :P

Speed Racer 03-26-2013 12:29 PM

Regular bays with stockings or a blaze have the same colors and nobody calls them tri-colored. I have to agree with the OP. 'Tri-color' is just a silly buzz word that people have come up with to make their animal seem more special.

I guess by that criteria, my plain bay with a tiny sock and smidge of white on his forehead is 'tri-colored'. Does that make my chestnut with stockings/blaze and my fleabitten gray 'bi-colored', then?

Joe4d 03-26-2013 12:29 PM

tri, equals 3, Sounds like three colors to me,

Critter sitter 03-26-2013 12:33 PM

if the horse is 3 colors it does mean tri . I know that the terminology is different but as kenda said..... lol

kenda 03-26-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 2034498)
Regular bays with stockings or a blaze have the same colors and nobody calls them tri-colored.

Maybe we should start! May sell a few bays at exorbitant prices that way!

Heck I've got a flaxen chestnut with sabino, mines tri-coloured too!

JustDressageIt 03-26-2013 01:10 PM

Amen!!!! That's a pet peeve of mine... Otherwise my bay gelding with socks is tri-coloured too, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

minstrel 03-26-2013 01:16 PM

I learned about colours the old fashioned British way, where we just describe the look not the genetics. So tricolour was a real colour, as was piebald and skew bald, and brown was someone stupid looking at a liver chestnut... I can admit that it's not genetically right, but when everyone understands what we're talking about, it doesn't bother me... Where I live, if I called anything a 'paint' I'd also get laughed out te place. Brits don't do 'americanisms'.

verona1016 03-26-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minstrel (Post 2034946)
I learned about colours the old fashioned British way, where we just describe the look not the genetics. So tricolour was a real colour, as was piebald and skew bald, and brown was someone stupid looking at a liver chestnut... I can admit that it's not genetically right, but when everyone understands what we're talking about, it doesn't bother me... Where I live, if I called anything a 'paint' I'd also get laughed out te place. Brits don't do 'americanisms'.

'Paint' is a really common term in the U.S. but is misused a lot... technically a horse is not a Paint unless it's registered with the APHA. But a lot of people don't know the difference between pinto (any of the various white patterning genes except appaloosa) and Paint (the breed).

Roadyy 03-26-2013 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What would he be considered in your opinion?

And I don't mean the idiot ex S-I-L barefoot next to him..lol

Attachment 139826