The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   -sighs- anyone wanna wish me luck? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/sighs-anyone-wanna-wish-me-luck-162730/)

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 03-26-2013 03:40 PM

-sighs- anyone wanna wish me luck?

I don't usually post about non horse stuff but this is really getting me down. I went to go apply for a transfer of university and was informed that my fall financial aid didn't go through somehow despite qualifying, filling out the required papers onetime, and going to all my classes with straight A's while also on a half tuition athletic scholarships. And I ve been informed that I owe 5527.52 before I can attend school again and it has to be from an outside party financial institution, not student loan because it was for fall 2011, Or accept no credit...:evil:

I guess I have to call financial aid :-(

wetrain17 03-26-2013 03:46 PM

If I had all the paper work filled out and handed in on time. I would be on the phone and wouldn't stop until I did all I could to get that reversed. I wish you luck.

Speed Racer 03-26-2013 03:48 PM

Definitely wish you luck, Ashley. Hope it all gets straightened out for you.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 03-26-2013 03:48 PM

Thanks wetrain and speed_racer

I found out this morning that last summer when I withdrew after the first day of one of my summer classes (which is allowed Shouldnt have been an issue) they tried to send me a refund. Which I refused to accept because of this very reason but, in their records (until the person I spoke with dug around) it *appeared* that I accepted it When I didn't, which nullified my financial aid for the fall. He proceeded to tell me there was nothing that could be done about it because it had already been sent to collections -.-

poppy1356 03-27-2013 08:28 AM

Well if they screwed up then they can fix it. Just because they sent it to collections doesn't mean they can't bring it back. I would keep at it until it's fixed.

ladygodiva1228 03-27-2013 08:34 AM

I would demand them show you proof that you "accepted" the refund. I would then question them where the refund went and if someone cashed it if it was a check.

TurkishVan 03-27-2013 10:36 AM

Are you close enough that you can make a visit? I would visit in person, if possible. You'd be surprised how often they can put you on hold...

It always seemed like I had the worst luck when dealing with financial aid during my undergrad. But you can bet your butt that when I walked through that door with my Mom, we meant business. Things were ALWAYS resolved THAT DAY.
Something about having another adult present makes them be completely honest. Especially a parent that knows they're wrong. I'm assuming that you're in your early 20's, maybe 19. Don't hesistate to ask your Mom and/or Dad to come act intimidating. They're probably trying to get your parents to pay for it, when they could just finaggle something together and make it work. Don't accept that. Make them work things out.

Good luck!

countrylove 03-27-2013 10:39 AM

I was very active at my college and have actually been through almost the same thing more than once with other students. Do not let administration bully you. There is an appeal process and depending on where you, there is a lot you can do. PM me if you need any help. I can help you find any info if you need. I'm good at dealing with admin procedure and my best friend is a student worker in our FA department.
Posted via Mobile Device

Celeste 03-27-2013 06:18 PM

You need to work your way up the ladder. Remain civil, but talk to:
1. The financial aid person
2. Your dean
3. Your vice president of academic affairs
4. The college president

Go to them in that order. Be polite and civil. Explain that a mistake has been made that is costing them a good student. Let them know that you sincerely want to get this straightened out and get back in school. If after talking to the college president, if you really, really, know that you are in the right and didn't screw things up, then you may have to consider getting an attorney. Chances are you will never have to go past the vice president.