The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Anyone else ONLY show in-hand? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/anyone-else-only-show-hand-162922/)

steedaunh32 03-26-2013 07:42 PM

Anyone else ONLY show in-hand?

I love horses, but in the past riding has been more stress than pleasure for me, so i have been thinking seriously about adopting a companion only/non-rideable horse (because the rescues are overflowing with these poor guys) and doing local showmanship classes. I'm wondering if this is common or is it basically that everyone that does showmanship and/or halter also rides and competes in riding classes as well?

What types of classes will I be able to participate in as a young adult novice? I've never done any type of showing but have always wanted to; found an excellent showmanship instructor that I am going to begin weekly lessons with. Intimidated but excited to get back into the horse world! Just want to be prepared if people are constantly going to ask me why I never ride :-)

paintsrule 03-26-2013 08:02 PM

I think it sounds great! To take on an unridable horse that a lot of other people don't want for exactly that reason and giving it a good life when it otherwise might not have had one, very admirable! We need more people like you! ;) I can't answer the class questions but I can say I know there are a LOT of people that just show, breed, etc halter horses and don't really ride.
And plus, who cares if they do! If you want to and want to save a horse in the process, more power to you!

steedaunh32 03-27-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintsrule (Post 2038898)
I think it sounds great! To take on an unridable horse that a lot of other people don't want for exactly that reason and giving it a good life when it otherwise might not have had one, very admirable! We need more people like you! ;) I can't answer the class questions but I can say I know there are a LOT of people that just show, breed, etc halter horses and don't really ride.
And plus, who cares if they do! If you want to and want to save a horse in the process, more power to you!

Thanks paintsrule, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've got my eyes on a few candidates -- will share info and pics if/when I bring someone home!

DancingArabian 03-27-2013 12:20 PM

I think it's a great idea.

One thing to consider though is the shows in your area. If you have more breed shows than open shows you might want to consider a breed more if you want more show opportunities.
Posted via Mobile Device

NBEventer 03-27-2013 12:48 PM

There is showmanship(obviously lol) and I believe there are in hand trail classes as well. From what i've heard there are lots of things you can do only in hand. I think what you want to do is great! You will give a very lucky pony a great home.