The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Bosal or Snaffle? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/bosal-snaffle-162954/)

MyLittlePonies 03-26-2013 09:30 PM

Bosal or Snaffle?

Which do you like better starting two year old?
Posted via Mobile Device

GotaDunQH 03-27-2013 12:22 PM

Snaffle.....I save the bosal for showing.

Fort fireman 03-27-2013 03:07 PM

I would say it all depends on your experience level. A bosal in my opinion is easier to screw up a horse with if you don't really know how to use it. Just like a snaffle can be very harsh if not used corectly. I think the next horse I start I'm going to give the hackamore( bosal) first a shots and forgo the snaffle. Just to see. The last one I started I started him in a snaffle then moved him to a hackamore and he's getting ready for the two rein. As soon as I get a bosalito for him. That being said I didn't even saddle him until he was 3 and some change. It was a timing thing and seemed to work ok. That's him in my avatar

Cynical25 03-28-2013 11:50 AM

I prefer a sidepull for the first few rides. Then I put a snaffle bridle under the sidepull, just to get used to wearing a bit (reins still on sidepull only.) Then I move to snaffle bridle only.

Bosals are not in my personal repertoire, but I have nothing against them. Just remember to bump & release, not pull, when you use a bosal. It takes some getting used to for both horse & rider, IMO.

I do love the look of a western pleasure horse decked out in a lovely bosal & mecate in the show ring - something elegant about it.

morganandme 03-28-2013 10:44 PM

Snaffle...most shows u can't use any bittless bridles in most shows...there's a age limit

COWCHICK77 03-28-2013 11:14 PM

50 Attachment(s)
It really depends on the colt, you have to feel that out. Some horses are better off started in a bosal and some I like to put in a snaffle first. I usually do a couple of rides in a halter and a make a decision from there.

Hang on Fi 03-28-2013 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I broke my filly with a snaffle, but I did putz around on her in the hackamore before I had her wolf and canine pulled. Once those were out, the snaffle went in :)

MyLittlePonies 03-29-2013 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This may be the one I break.

Attachment 143065

GotaDunQH 03-30-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganandme (Post 2060578)
Snaffle...most shows u can't use any bittless bridles in most shows...there's a age limit

You can ride at AQHA shows in a bosal until the horse is 6. Horses are 6 are junior horses and either a bosal or a snaffle is acceptable. Horses 6 and over are senior horses and must be ridden in a shank.

MyLittlePonies 03-30-2013 03:33 PM

My home state goes to five for snaffles and bosals.