The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Skinny horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/skinny-horse-163066/)

SassyLittleHorse 03-26-2013 11:38 PM

Skinny horse

I am working with a Peruvian Paso, and she is really skinny, she was starved and abused, o she was rescued. But she looks odd. she is 13, and missing a lot of muscle. Is there anyway to get muscle back on them?

DraftyAiresMum 03-26-2013 11:41 PM

Once you get her weight to where it should be, you can start looking at putting muscle back on her. Do you have pics?
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 03-27-2013 03:04 AM

Weight first, then muscle. How long has she been 'rescued' for? I agree that pics would help us out in trying to help YOU out. What kind of feed program is she on right now?

loosie 03-27-2013 04:20 AM

Check out the 'skinny companion horse' thread for more tips on feeding.

bhorselover 04-01-2013 07:30 PM

I feed my horse Natural Glo by manna pro really helps to put weight on them and doesn't get them HOT or give them Ulcers.

SassyLittleHorse 04-03-2013 06:24 PM

She has been rescued for over 5 years! Really good horse, Her weight is on, but the muscle looks awful! Thanks you'all for Posts.

SassyLittleHorse 04-03-2013 06:25 PM

i am going to try a work out schedule maybe that would help!

loosie 04-03-2013 07:13 PM

Oh, OK. A number of things could be going on besides her needing to just get fitter. She could have something out in shoulder, back, hips, feet, or such which is causing her not to use herself properly, so muscles have atrophied, she could be under low grade chronic stress - physical or mental, could be from pain, ulcers, metabolic issues... which has caused the muscles to be wasted/undeveloped - cortisol enables the body to take whatever it needs from muscles for instant action to escape danger. Could be insulin resistance, cushings or such, which has caused muscle wastage. I'd be inclined to get a good veterinary chiro or other good bodyworker for a start, to rule out or hopefully treat any body issues, check your saddle fit.

bhorselover 04-03-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassyLittleHorse (Post 2119194)
She has been rescued for over 5 years! Really good horse, Her weight is on, but the muscle looks awful! Thanks you'all for Posts.

I thought you said she was skinny? she cant build muscle without fat.