The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Something just isn't RIGHT with Cinny (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/something-just-isnt-right-cinny-163346/)

Cinnys Whinny 03-27-2013 02:31 PM

Something just isn't RIGHT with Cinny

I'm a little worried about Cinny, and I'm not sure what is possibly going on with him. My normally QUIET horse is suddenly a freakazoid. It doesn't matter where he is, the cross ties, his stall, turnout, he just always seems on edge. And just when I think he is going to relax he suddenly tucks his but under and flips out as if his butt was stung by a hornet. It then takes a good 10 minutes to calm him down but then happens again just as suddenly. This happens standing, or working. Tacked up or no tack. I just don't get it. This started about a month ago and is gradually getting worse.

When I work him, he tends to settle down and in to work after about half an hour to 45 minutes. He does not seem sore, off balance, or like anything is wrong with him while he works and he is actually starting to use himself better than he ever has. He seems to have forgotten whatever had crawled up his bunghole during his workout and there is no issue until the next time I get him out. And in the cross ties after working, he is relaxed, and very sleepy.

A little history, he HAS had what we thought to be ulcer flare ups. His vet put him on gastroguard a couple of weeks ago and he has had the full 2 weeks of treatment. He also get SmartGut Ultra as his daily maintenance. When his behavior started we just assumed it was an ulcer flare up and treated him, but this time the treatments have not stopped the behavior.

He was moved to a new barn about 2 months ago. Only a few people handle him and I have never seen them be anything but kind and gentle with the horses. I also started him on a new supplement recently SmartMuscle max and changed him from SmartGut to SmartGut Ultra. For feed he gets Brome Mix that the stable buys, and it looks pretty good. Cinny is pretty picky and he has been eating all of his food. He also gets strategy, which he has had every day for 2 years and also alfalfa/Timothy pellets because the vet said the high calcium content is good for his stomach.

Today was lesson day and he was just too dangerous. I could not control him on the lead line and when I put him on the Lunge Line he was a total out of control jerk. My trainer and I agreed that it was in the best interest of Cinny and all concerned if we did not do a lesson and just put him back in the turnout. HE was the worst he has EVER been.

I'm looking for ideas. Please tell me your thoughts, I am obviously missing something. I don't think this is just "spring" weather doing this. He is just so jumpy, squirrely and spooky at everything, and that isn't like him at all.

NBEventer 03-27-2013 02:34 PM

My first thing would be to call a vet. It sounds neurological to me.

DancingArabian 03-27-2013 02:41 PM

Sounds like an intermittent pain issue. Try to see if there's any correlation between what you're doing and what he does. I mean pay attention to all details even if its just "patted his nose and he freaked" kind of thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 03-27-2013 02:45 PM

I would be checking the hay very closely. Make sure there are no weeds or anything that shouldn't be there. Just because he's picky doesn't mean he wouldn't eat something bad if it didn't smell or taste different.

Next I would be contacting the vet to draw blood work.

Klassic Superstar 03-27-2013 02:52 PM

Yikes! Sounds like Ollie when he had gotten a cold and his body was out of wack and he knew his body was just not right now he acted out....then it turned into pneumonia cause I didn't call the vet...I relied on my trainer, thinking she sees him every day when I don't and she will let me know if he worsens...didn't work out that way and just this year we found out it was more the Likely an ulcer that weakened his immune system so with him being clipped and a wet cold winter he got worse...now he was treated and got better but as soon as last summers grass went away the ulcers came back with vengeance! (I also have a different trainer!) and we tried many different things and after flying into the ulcer we decided Togo to Costco, get human acid reducer, and ALOE VERA and within the week he showed imporovemnt and now with a daily scoop of acid reducer he holds weight, not a freak-a-zoid....you couldn't even look at him without him going "omg don't!" and spazzing...touching him...jeez!

So call the vet, documantate all that you see that is not the norm for him.
Hope you figure this out! You have come so far with him after all your struggles....
I'll be interested to know what comes of a vet visit! I'm guessing ulcers?....

Annanoel 03-27-2013 02:54 PM

It is hard when the horse you once knew is gone, but I would say neurological or a pain issue causing him to explode. I would as others have said have the vet out to do a check up and blood work as well!

natisha 03-27-2013 02:54 PM

Yes, check the hay, also his sheath & if the only real thing different is the supplement I'd stop that.

deserthorsewoman 03-27-2013 03:04 PM

Lack of magnesium?
Could be he was borderline before and now different hay just pushed him over the edge. Bloodwork sounds good, for missing nutrients. Could also be that the higher calcium for the ulcers caused what little magnesium there is/was not getting utilized.
I would also give his hay in a slowfeeder net and make sure he has hay all the time. There's more to treating ulcers than just give med's .....:-)

JustWingIt 03-27-2013 03:24 PM

I agree with checking magnesium levels. I move my guy to a new farm and he got really anxious, not quite as bad as your guy more just general anxiousness. So we contacted the vet after about a month and we decided to try quiessence, I have my chill pony back now!
Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 03-27-2013 03:59 PM

Strategy turned several of the horses (including mine) where I board into psychotic freaks! Jumping out of their skin, crazy horses. The Vet told us to switch to Strategy Healthy Edge and everyone went back to normal but we hadn't been feeding it for 2 years though, just a few months.