The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Elisa and Coggins?? are they the same?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/elisa-coggins-they-same-163386/)

hopie22 03-27-2013 04:06 PM

Elisa and Coggins?? are they the same??

Just woderig are coggins and Elisa test the same thing?? Need to know cuz i havea jane melby clinic the first week of April. My horse that i just bought had a elisa test last April 25th and it was negative? so do i have to get a coggins test to??

wausuaw 03-27-2013 04:15 PM

Elisa test is the "quick" test, but is not accepted everywhere. I would suggest doing a coggins if they specifically state coggins, so that there are no hang ups.

Speed Racer 03-27-2013 04:18 PM

A negative coggins is required once a year anyway if you plan to take your horse off property, so you may as well get it done.

Left Hand Percherons 03-28-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 2047218)
A negative coggins is required once a year anyway if you plan to take your horse off property, so you may as well get it done.

Not true. Many states do not require a current coggins to travel within the state. I am not required for travel or for owning purposes. Know your individual state laws.

Anytime I have had a coggins pulled in the US, it has been ELISA. If you import or export horses to Canada, you are required to do AGID. ELISA is a Coggins test.

mls 03-28-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wausuaw (Post 2047194)
Elisa test is the "quick" test, but is not accepted everywhere. I would suggest doing a coggins if they specifically state coggins, so that there are no hang ups.

Where are they not accepted? The clinic I have used for the last 15 years indicates ELISA on the test type. I've never been anywhere that indicated it had to read AGID.

mls 03-28-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 2054618)
Not true. Many states do not require a current coggins to travel within the state. I am not required for travel or for owning purposes. Know your individual state laws.

SpeedRacer is correct -

Animal Disease Traceability Home

Left Hand Percherons 03-28-2013 12:48 PM

That is for interstate travel not intrastate travel.

existentialpony 03-28-2013 11:54 PM

Just to clarify-- ELISA refers to the technique. :) The two techniques for detecting
EIA are ELISA and AGID. ELISAs are not as sensitive (so a low low quantity might be overlooked) but they are both valid!

hopie22 03-29-2013 04:49 PM

SO they are the same thing one is just quicker then the other??
And thanks for all your responds!! :)

churumbeque 03-29-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopie22 (Post 2067409)
SO they are the same thing one is just quicker then the other??
And thanks for all your responds!! :)

No it depends on what type of machine is used at the lab. If a vet does it in house is usually the Elisa and if it is sent out to say a university it is the agid