The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Essential Oils? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/essential-oils-163442/)

faiza425 03-27-2013 05:13 PM

Essential Oils?

Has anyone used essential oils on their horses? I have head claims that certain ones will calm your horse, help with shock, speed healing, etc. Wasn't sure if it was just a placebo type thing/old wive's tale or if it actually worked. What is your opinion on them?
If you've had personal experience where any of them actually worked, I would love to hear your stories.

OwnedByAlli 03-28-2013 05:19 PM

I haven't personally tried them but in my mind there is no doubt that some oils relax muscles or calm horses etc. Lots of conventional drugs are actually plant extracts so using the plant oils have small concentrations of those medicines in them.

Im trying to think of an oil exapmles off the top of my head but failing... :-?

Ooh chamomile flowers (i think they can be made into oils... :-|) have a chemical called chamazul-something which is actually an antiallergic drug but chamomile also calms and sedates.
Another is willow trees. Its not an oil, but painkillers are derived from it so munching on willow branches will provide some pain relief.

However, be wary of 'mirical' oils. Many plant extracts have been used for centuries and have been proven for their medical properties, but companies exploit this and come up with 'newly discovered properties' or entirly new extracts which are as useful as giving water to a horse to try and calm it down haha
Experiment with your horse though, can't hurt!

dlpark2 03-28-2013 05:31 PM

My farrier swears I need to by calm and quiet oil I think it is called for my mare, but it is expensive. My sister in Texas swears by essential oils for her dogs though.

Saddlebag 03-28-2013 06:36 PM

Lavender oil is common for calming a horse. Wipe a drop on your hands and allow the horse to smell it. The few I've seen seem to like the fragrance. Camomile tea is calming.

SaddleStrings 03-28-2013 10:36 PM

Lavender is awesome for sweet itch. I swear by it!

livelovelaughride 03-29-2013 01:53 AM

Young Living MLM (multi level marketing) makes Peace and Calm Essential Oil blend - I have used on horses, pets, babies, children, adults....its very calming esp. when applied to sole of feet (for horse - inhale, inner ear or lip).

It is expensive and I'm not a fan of MLM. But I do have one story to share. I horse handle for the disabled and one of the most stressing times for the horse is when they are standing in the ramp about to be mounted. Also transitions and un mounting, but I digress. I would already have some P & C applied to my wrist and just stand with the horse making certain they were in a good position for mounting and were quiet. Horses could tell that moment of 'weighting of the rider' and they would shove their nose into my wrist - I believe in an effort to self calm....it was that evident. Many of these riders flop on, so its quite stressful for the horse. The other uses: parents of anxious children swear by it. It calms them down, often prevents night terrors, better sleep, etc. Of course many natural herb remedies do the same thing. There are tons of brands out there and they're all probably very similiar.

Little Jane 03-29-2013 10:33 AM

I've used essential oils on myself (for tendonitis/nerve damage in both arms) and it did work. They relaxed the muscles and eased the pain. However, the oils alone would not have solved my problem, though they were helpful.

I used lavender, chamomile, and comfrey for relaxation, arnica for the nerves, valerian, clove, peppermint, spearmint, and one other that I can't remember for pain and ache. I've not used essential oils with animals, but I'm sure it would help. I've heard of them working well with dogs.

sportschick068 04-21-2013 02:14 PM

My farrier uses them and they calm down the horse enough to do their hooves. I think it's really neat :)