The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Changing horse names when buying (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/changing-horse-names-when-buying-1635/)

Elizabeth<3horses 04-23-2007 09:15 PM

Changing horse names when buying

Do you know a lot of people who have changed their horse's names after buying them? Is it an easy process with the reregistering or whatever it is you have to do? Does the horse get used to it quickly?

Thanks!

~*Hunter_Gurlie*~ 04-24-2007 04:39 PM

I know a lot of people who have changed their horses names but I don't really know how hard it is to change the registered name or that whole process.

xx-rambo-xx 04-24-2007 10:42 PM

If your horse isn't registered then it should be pretty easy..some horses don't even know their names so sometimes it isn't really an issue at all, but if they're registered it can be quite complicated and expensive.. depending on what they're registered with. You can though, probably change their show name without changing their official name? Many people I know just change their horse's name only slighty, say from Tobiano to Toby but I don't know anyone who's officially changed the name...

kristy 04-25-2007 03:55 AM

Sure you can! I plan on doing it myself. The horse gets use to it pretty quickly, many don't even pay attention to the actual name, just the syllables and the tone of it. If the horse is registered, you contact the registry and you fill out a form. You have to pay a small amount for the processing fee and they eventually send new registration papers with the new name on it. If the horse is not registered, just register the horse with the new name. Good luck! :wink:

Jr_lover 04-25-2007 07:13 AM

yeah you can i don't know about the registering thing but i know lots of people that changed their horses names when they got them. Half the time like she said the horse doesn't know its own name. It could learn it but usually they only know your talking to them because they got in trouble or did something wrong and they know your yelling at them or something in that case.