The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipping questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipping-questions-163530/)

ThePaintGirl 03-27-2013 07:59 PM

Clipping questions

Hi all!
So, I decided to clip my black gelding this summer to help keep him cooler because he gets waaay to overheated in the summer, but I have a few questions.

1) Which clippers would you recommend for body clipping? Though I would love to save money, I want some good clippers and am willing to fork out $$ to get them.

2) Do you have to re-clip every so often? If yes about how soon?

3) He is a western horse, would clipping look weird on him? Which type of clip would you recommend?

4) Can someone explain this: Someone said when you clip a horse they change color (I knew this) but then they change back to their original color. Is it the hair grows back or what?

Thanks!
ThePaintGirl

http://i46.tinypic.com/2jewaac.jpg

toto 03-27-2013 08:11 PM

I have another suggestion for a black horse..

You could keep him up durring the hottest part of the days, and let him out when its cooler--It will bring out his color and keep him cool. :)

As for clippers-- whal clippers are what weve always used. :)

You will be able to tell hes clipped.

You shouldnt have to re-clip again durring the summer.

Not unless hes a roan.

gypsygirl 03-27-2013 08:15 PM

they can look a different color, but when they row a new coat it will be their same color. i just body clipped my black mare and she looks grulla

ThePaintGirl 03-27-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 2048634)
they can look a different color, but when they row a new coat it will be their same color. i just body clipped my black mare and she looks grulla

Me and my sister have a feeling he will be grulla as well.

What kind of clip would you recommend for him? Im just hoping he wont look weird being a western horse, but as long as he is comfortable I guess it really doesn't matter what he looks like

ThePaintGirl 03-27-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 2048586)
I have another suggestion for a black horse..

You could keep him up durring the hottest part of the days, and let him out when its cooler--It will bring out his color and keep him cool. :)

As for clippers-- whal clippers are what weve always used. :)

You will be able to tell hes clipped.

You shouldnt have to re-clip again durring the summer.

Not unless hes a roan.

I don't have a way to keep him up out of the sun. We haven't finished our barn yet (and wont until fall) I thought about maybe buying a sheet but it would soo not last a day.

Thank you!

hemms 03-27-2013 09:16 PM

Any thoughts about removing that last layer of sun protection? It's something we consider, as groomers, when clipping dogs. I'm not sure a slick summer coat does add much heat. If we're talking about a spring clip to beat the shedding, they would grow back enough coat to protect them during the *dog days*.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 03-27-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePaintGirl (Post 2048954)
Me and my sister have a feeling he will be grulla as well.

What kind of clip would you recommend for him? Im just hoping he wont look weird being a western horse, but as long as he is comfortable I guess it really doesn't matter what he looks like

i body clipped, then they are all even. clipped every single hair on her body but a spot where here saddle is and mane/tail/forelock of course.

i wouldnt worry about sunburn or heat or anything. when you clip them its about the same length as their summer coat anyways. not like shaving the coat/undercoat of a dog. if you are worried you can always get a fly sheet. i would recommend a kensington, they last forever.

ThePaintGirl 03-27-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemms (Post 2049098)
Any thoughts about removing that last layer of sun protection? It's something we consider, as groomers, when clipping dogs. I'm not sure a slick summer coat does add much heat. If we're talking about a spring clip to beat the shedding, they would grow back enough coat to protect them during the *dog days*.
Posted via Mobile Device

If he starts to sunburn then I have sunblock for horses (my mare is a paint and she burns in certain areas)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 2049282)
i body clipped, then they are all even. clipped every single hair on her body but a spot where here saddle is and mane/tail/forelock of course.

i wouldnt worry about sunburn or heat or anything. when you clip them its about the same length as their summer coat anyways. not like shaving the coat/undercoat of a dog. if you are worried you can always get a fly sheet. i would recommend a kensington, they last forever.

I was hoping to do a body clip. How would you do a saddle spot? Just place my saddle (or pad?) on and trace with chalk and clip around?

Also, someone said somewhere that in the winter you leave a saddle spot, in the summer you clip it all off. Is it preference?

Thanks again!

gypsygirl 03-27-2013 10:10 PM

i like to leave one just in case so they dont get rubs there. my mare is super sensitive though !

Casey02 03-27-2013 10:18 PM

I honestly don't see the reason in clipping a horse in the summer, unless you are showing him and need to