The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Can't decide what stud to breed to. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/cant-decide-what-stud-breed-16355/)

nybarrelracer 10-21-2008 07:19 PM

Can't decide what stud to breed to.

I have a APHA mare that is a chestnut roan, that i would like to breed but I dont' know what one of ,y two full size studs to breed her to.
One is a registerd chestnut AQHA and the other one is an unregisterd black/white pinto. both are very calm, jental and laid back. for pictures of them pleas go to my home page

Gingerrrrr 10-21-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nybarrelracer (Post 171458)
I have a APHA mare that is a chestnut roan, that i would like to breed but I dont' know what one of ,y two full size studs to breed her to.
One is a registerd chestnut AQHA and the other one is an unregisterd black/white pinto. both are very calm, jental and laid back. for pictures of them pleas go to my home page

i wouldnt breed her to the unregistered stud...

kenda 10-21-2008 08:05 PM

Well, what are you breeding her for? Do you intend to sell the foal? If so, you probably want to go registered.

Do you intend to keep the foal for yourself?

What have each of these stallions done that merits your breeding to them? Other than having great personalities, what are their characteristics? Atheleticism suitable to your discipline? What have their previous offspring done?

appylover31803 10-21-2008 08:58 PM

You could always go out and buy a foal....

If you did want to breed, I would go with a registered stud who has been doing things with his career, not just standing around, getting around.

Angel_Leaguer 10-22-2008 09:43 AM

I know people around here cant hardly give a horse away... Unless your mare is something very special I would buy a foal already on the ground, you know what it looks like and potentially what it will perform best in.

Curly_Horse_CMT 10-22-2008 11:49 AM

I wouldnt breed her to a unregistered stud. Try to choose a stud that will compliment her good points and strengthen her weak points. Dont just "breed to breed". Also, breed for a discripline, have a goal for what you want in a foal. You can do this much easier by purchasing a foal/weanling/yearling and raising it up your own way. :D

farmpony84 10-22-2008 12:09 PM

i'm going to go against everyone! teehee...

I PERSONALLY wouldnt breed to an unregistered stud. but I show in breed shows. I actually have 4 unregistered horses... 2 QH's, 1 pony, and 1 TWH. Registry doesnt matter a lot of times... and there are always state and breed type registries that you can enter horses in and so on and so forth... like one of my unregistered QH's is a registered Virginia Show Horse, whatever that means... which is.. I paid the fee...

OK, never mind... I'm with everyone else.... I'd stick w/ a registered proven horse... is your mare regsitered?

kickshaw 10-22-2008 01:04 PM

whoever you decide to breed to, make sure that the stud's strongpoints are enough to help your mare's weakpoints (and that your mare's strongpoints are enough to counter the stud's weak points ;-) )

nybarrelracer 10-22-2008 07:53 PM

i plan to keep the foal. My mare is registerd . go to
Stone Haven Farm | healing heart, healing horses to see her. Her name is Diesel's Little Rocket.
Stone Haven Farm | healing heart, healing horses
the stallions that i would like to breed to are Jacks Boston Magic or Smokin Okin

kickshaw 10-22-2008 10:09 PM

out of the two that you have listed, what traits are you expecting to pass on to the foal?

What can the mare add to the foal's conformation?
What can the sire add to the foal's conformation?