The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Walk to Canter (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/walk-canter-16361/)

VanillaBean 10-21-2008 07:10 PM

Walk to Canter

Hi!
My horse is having trouble (sometimes) on walk to canter transitions, i tried spurs and they helped ALOT...but she dosnt do the transition every time!!! She dosnt like crops (Spooks, bucks, ETC) so i cant use one...

Any ideas???
Thanks!!

equineangel91 10-21-2008 08:05 PM

Crops and spurs are only temporary fixes for this and i dont really recomend it if its something youll have to use every time. The spurs are working because its emphasizing your leg, which is good, because its encouraging that asking. But you wont want to rly on them

my tip- over emphasize the bend...a lot. Like as soon as youre moving in that walk and you get in a corner, ask ask ask. put youre outside leg back even further than you would normally and really ask her.

Be very sure that your aids are the same each and every time and are consitent. You need to tune your horse to you very specifically. That fine tuning is what makes for impeccable equitation and most certainly takes A LOT of practice.

Reward her verbally strongly each time she really picks it up nicely. Try to collect the walk as much as possible to get that impulsion going forward and readily. Think of a dressage collected walk =P lol. make sure you have her 100% focus when you ask too.

i hope that helps a little bit. i think these are some very basic tips. maybe if you happen to have video? thatd be even more helpful we can pick out what might be the problem.

VanillaBean 10-21-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equineangel91 (Post 171535)
Crops and spurs are only temporary fixes for this and i dont really recomend it if its something youll have to use every time. The spurs are working because its emphasizing your leg, which is good, because its encouraging that asking. But you wont want to rly on them

my tip- over emphasize the bend...a lot. Like as soon as youre moving in that walk and you get in a corner, ask ask ask. put youre outside leg back even further than you would normally and really ask her.

Be very sure that your aids are the same each and every time and are consitent. You need to tune your horse to you very specifically. That fine tuning is what makes for impeccable equitation and most certainly takes A LOT of practice.

Reward her verbally strongly each time she really picks it up nicely. Try to collect the walk as much as possible to get that impulsion going forward and readily. Think of a dressage collected walk =P lol. make sure you have her 100% focus when you ask too.

i hope that helps a little bit. i think these are some very basic tips. maybe if you happen to have video? thatd be even more helpful we can pick out what might be the problem.

Thank you!!! I will try that.
I do not have video-SORRY!!!!!! I think your advice will help alot!!

*VanillaBean*

claireauriga 10-22-2008 08:26 AM

I don't really know much about direct transitions, but a while back when I was working on them, my instructor made me do lots of figure-eights with simple changes - a true simple change involves a single stride of walk, not trot, so you have both upwards and downwards direct transitions.

SonnyWimps 10-22-2008 11:52 AM

depending on your horse, some are more sensitive to cues than others. Some are taught the cue to canter differently where as others are dead sided from use of spurs or too much leg (my horse got like that for a while).
I am not certain which way is the "politically correct" way to ask for a canter, but here are different ways that I've seen horse's go into the canter:
1) Bringing your outside leg (the one by the fence/arena wall) back further
2) Leaning back and giving a tiny squeeze with your leg
3) Leaning forward and giving lots of rein
4) A mixture of any/all of the above

My horse knows #1 and #2, but he responds better to #2 because that was the way he was origianlly trained, and since I ride bareback, and neckrein him I find it easier for him to respond to #2 more-so than #1

VanillaBean 10-22-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps (Post 171964)
depending on your horse, some are more sensitive to cues than others. Some are taught the cue to canter differently where as others are dead sided from use of spurs or too much leg (my horse got like that for a while).
I am not certain which way is the "politically correct" way to ask for a canter, but here are different ways that I've seen horse's go into the canter:
1) Bringing your outside leg (the one by the fence/arena wall) back further
2) Leaning back and giving a tiny squeeze with your leg
3) Leaning forward and giving lots of rein
4) A mixture of any/all of the above

My horse knows #1 and #2, but he responds better to #2 because that was the way he was origianlly trained, and since I ride bareback, and neckrein him I find it easier for him to respond to #2 more-so than #1

Thanks, I'll try those next time i ride

PS I go bareback too!!!!

claireauriga 10-22-2008 12:44 PM

I've always been taught that the correct way for someone who is not a super experienced rider on a very educated horse to ask for canter is:

- slide outside leg back
- bring inside leg onto girth
- sit if trotting
- squeeze/kick

However, old school horses respond to sitting trot + kick, or a really hard or repeated kick from walk.

The leg signals cue the horse as to which lead they need to take up, though obviously it's best to ask for canter while in a circle or turn to make it easier for them to pick up the inside lead.

I ride English, of course, but I was getting told off for letting my reins go slack in canter transitions. If you're riding English you should maintain an even contact throughout any transition.

SonnyWimps 10-22-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanillaBean (Post 172005)
Thanks, I'll try those next time i ride

PS I go bareback too!!!!

If you go bareback I find #2 is easier...but that's just me.

I do not feel kicking a horse is good to get a horse to go faster. It will just make them hard sided and they won't listen to your leg cues at all.

claireauriga 10-22-2008 01:57 PM

Well, a kick is necessary on an old lesson horse!

SonnyWimps 10-22-2008 08:52 PM

a kick is never necessary