The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Standardbred Canter Critique - Important (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/standardbred-canter-critique-important-16362/)

equineangel91 10-21-2008 07:11 PM

Standardbred Canter Critique - Important

So i have a bit of a before and after going on here...and its AWESOME in my opinion. I hate to brag but im just so proud of how far my horse has come. He was an off the track standardbred, completely untrained. and now here we go

SO THIS is what he USED to be. THis vid includes his first ever canter

Then a small improvement....
He's extremely fast and unbalanced

and now our little improvement since then
there is a lot more balance as you can see =D

IN the next vid you'll see some jumping and another canter ( we tried to jump at the canter but he was a little edgy so we'll try again next time)

the last is also just a funny vid if you watch it all the way through but its just the first few minutes that are critique-able. theres some more canter in there

SO Please critique ME. the horse is still in training so if youd like to critique him fine but keep in mind he is just learning to canter. please critique me tho. Im thinking of using a few clips from these for my college vids.

THANKS GUYS =D

Painted Ride 10-22-2008 09:43 AM

great job!!! yall lok wonderful together! your legs are a little foward and you could sink some weight into ur heels..i know the horse is fast but try to relax your seat.one more thing your hands are too far apart.you guys look great.! it will not take you any time to become one heck of a team! congrats on the cantering!!!!!:D

equineangel91 10-22-2008 12:00 PM

THankyou so much! I'll keep in mind that i should keep my hands together closer. thanks for the tip.

its strange, im so used to being in two point on him with jumping and all i tend to bring my leg too far foward. I'll definitely work on that. I'll be going to see him tomorrow, so while im working on circles i'll pay really close attention to it and of course also when we canter. Thanks so much for the critique

anymore??

ohmyitschelle 10-22-2008 05:14 PM

Looking good!
Apart from relaxing more in your seat and sitting up taller to allow you to sit deeper, I can't see any major faults! And by sitting up taller, it's gonna help your leg too, making it not slip forward.

Oh and because you disabled comments on the page, haha oh yes, Dusty is a REAL man ;)
You should see Evo in Honey's pink halter... he just looks pathetic. Lmao.
x

carriedenaee 10-22-2008 06:03 PM

ok..so that dude had me crackin up!!!

equineangel91 10-22-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carriedenaee (Post 172334)
ok..so that dude had me crackin up!!!

LOL YES THATS MY BOYFRIEND =P He makes going up there so much funner haha. He's crazy sometimes i absolutely love it =P

ohmyitschelle 10-23-2008 02:58 AM

Lol I loved how he asked your Mum for any wisdom and she's like, nope. Haha it's awesome to be having fun at the same time as riding :)
x

TheVelveteenPony 10-23-2008 04:17 AM

none of the videos work. I hate my computer. : (

equineangel91 10-23-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVelveteenPony (Post 172634)
none of the videos work. I hate my computer. : (

Theyre also available on youtube.
my username is equineangel91. Maybe your computer will view those instead.

Anyone with anymore critique or recommendations for exercises or anything? what should we focus on improving. (other than slowing it down) I can see we definitely need to really work on getting more lift and suspension and slowing it down to something a little more collected. BUt so far he's working quite well. He's made so much improvement in these last few months

ohmyitschelle 10-23-2008 05:47 PM

You're the jumper, and I'm the dressage lover :P I reckon you need to just keep doing what you're doing now... the different exercises that will help with suppleness and slowing things down (from the other thread)... keep it basic for awhile and then when you've got him going slower and feel that he's more under himself then add more exercises in... everything you do on the flat to help him, is gonna help him fly over them jumps too :P
x