The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse not drinking (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-not-drinking-163642/)

horsecrazygirl13 03-27-2013 11:49 PM

Horse not drinking

HI my horse has just stopped drinking. He usually drinks two 12 L pails a day but yesterday he drank only half a pail and today he just ignored the water. What should I do? He eats normally and acts normal too. he gets a lot of good hay. He has some warm water avalible right now. praying he'll drink it before it freezes. Please help.

MAG1723 03-27-2013 11:50 PM

Has he pooped? What does it look like? Have you checked for any gut sounds?

Phly 03-27-2013 11:50 PM

Is he in the pasture with snow?
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazygirl13 03-27-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2050762)
Is he in the pasture with snow?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. with about 1 1/2 ft of snow. I pinched him and his skin went back to it's normal position fairly quickly. and he's been drinking less since the snow started to melt.

horsecrazygirl13 03-27-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAG1723 (Post 2050746)
Has he pooped? What does it look like? Have you checked for any gut sounds?

He pooped as normal. I heard some gut sounds when i picked out his hooves. :-)

Phly 03-27-2013 11:58 PM

I've noticed with all horses we've ever had, that they'll eat snow and drink less. Lazy suckers. Not to say there isn't a health problem, but it's something I've come to expect. Simply watching him in pasture you should be able see if he is or isn't eating snow. Usually as close to hay as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 03-28-2013 12:11 AM

Snow is too cold to hydrate a horse, and oftentimes they will eat snow thinking they're drinking and end up dehydrated. It's very important that you keep checking for signs of dehydration by doing the skin test and monitoring his manure. Is the water provided heated? My horses are reluctant to drink if their water isn't heated in the winter.

If he doesn't start drinking more, you may have to stall him for a few hours a day to force him to drink actual water instead of snow.