The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Noise reduction (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/noise-reduction-163682/)

MissColors 03-28-2013 12:54 AM

Noise reduction

Soooo... I just moved to a new place. And I love it. Except I can hear the people upstairs. I'm not here to much but goodness when I am. Anything you guys use for noise reduction. I used to use a comforter on the wall adjacent to my neighbor at my old apartment to keep our noise out. Think it would work the same. I've also heard cork works. Any luck? I think I'm going to go insane.
Posted via Mobile Device

jinxremoving 03-28-2013 02:22 PM

I know your frustration all to well... ugh!

Unfortunately you are extremely limited when it comes to noise overhead. If the noise was an adjacent wall there are dozens of things you can try without modifying the existing structure. Where it's overheard, you can't exactly put insulation there or cork slabs without causing tons of damage that your landlord probably wouldn't be too keen about.

Is it an apartment?

One thing you might try is talk to the neighbours and offer to go like 50/50 on carpet which is still going to be expensive or at least make them aware of the noise. You could talk to the landlord but most of them are useless as hell once you sign the lease. I really feel for you, I've lived in some really bad apartments with overhead noise and it drove me utterly insane. If talking to the neighbours above don't help... fight fire with fire! My last apartment, when the kids above would run and jump despite me telling the mother about it... I began to throw shoes (lol!) at the ceiling in the middle of the night under the master bedroom to get the point across. :)

MissColors 03-29-2013 09:13 PM

Well last night the boyfriend tried to kill the girlftiend and beat her. I called the cops and she lied saying nothing happened but told me this am that's what happened. And then told me he tries to stab himself this morning....

So the noise definitely escalated from when I had originally posted this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Missy May 03-29-2013 11:39 PM

hmm. This is in a condo or apartment? I think I would ask to be moved to a different one. In order for management to have a leg to stand on there would had to have been no prior complaints. I am betting....

toto 03-29-2013 11:47 PM

Can you do a involuntary psychiatric hold on your neighbor? Lol. It would reduce the noise problem.

doubleopi 03-29-2013 11:51 PM

Wow, you might have saved her life cause you could hear it. Doesn't make the noise any less annoying, but thank you for caring enough to call the police!

tinyliny 03-29-2013 11:59 PM

MOVE! you do not want to be involved in anything like that, even periferally.

MissColors 03-30-2013 12:27 AM

I'm having my attorney look into my lease. Im technically signed into for a year. But I have to say, that if I fear for my life because of other tenents I should be able to void that contract. The land lord said that he is going to try and do everything he can to get them out of there. The BF shouldnt be back til Sunday, hopefully Monday. After I left last night to go stay at my moms, he aparently came downstairs and knocked on the girl across the halls door from 2 - 2:30am. And while I was still there he knocked on the people upstairs across from thems door and was trying to figure out who called the cops.

And this is an apartment, only 4 apartments to our enterance(butchered, i know). The girl across the hall from me came over and we talked about what was going on while waiting on the cops and while the cops were there. The bf and gf upstairs have only been there for 2 months and this is the about 3-4 time that the cops have been called. And from one of her friends I have been told that he is addicted to drugs, which he himself told the cop, plus the GF told me this morning. Heard a majority of it is morphine patches but others mixed in. He is sooooo drugged out that when he tries to talk to you most of the time his jaw wont even move. Other times its not as bad but you can tell the difference. The GF also told me that he is stealing to get stuff to for drugs. She really wanted me to offer her shelter or something. But I really cant put my life in danger as such. I will how ever keep calling the cops and I did suggest her going to a shelter because she said she cant go to her parents(which I find odd since her dad pays their rent). If I would of known about this I would of never rented here. It sucks because I was sooooo happy about moving into this place. The interior is super nice. She is in their apartment tonight but I dont think he is. He generally comes down about 3 times and hour to smoke, and no one has came out of that apartment since I've been home plus, all movement is very light.

I am going to have to give it about a month, mainly because I paid for it and I dont think I could find anything that fast. If they arent gone by then, then I will make sure I get ALL of my money back. I have one of the best Lawyers in the DMV. Something will happen.

Oh and even better they are engaged....

MissColors 03-30-2013 12:27 AM

BTW DMV is short for DC, Maryland, and Virginia.

Missy May 03-30-2013 12:56 AM

haha, they are engaged. Wow. Well, I can't see how the management would be so stupid as to not just give you whatever you want in writing if you just asked. If there is a record at the police station, I think that is all they would need to be reminded of....as in, they ...ooops...failed to advise you (I am guessing a single female) that a loud domestically violent dope addict lived above when you originally inquired about the place.