The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Painful leg from fall (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/painful-leg-fall-163713/)

hunterjumper1998 03-28-2013 12:16 AM

Painful leg from fall

About 3 weeks ago my Haflinger mare tripped at the canter and went into a rotational fall. I was thrown forward and out of the way, my mom said she did a somersault. When she went to stand up i was apparently tangled in her and she stepped on my leg. Thankfully, it wasnt bone or muscle and i wasnt rolled on. For the first two weeks my leg was swollen almost two inches off my leg and the affected area was the size and shape of a huge hoof. It was all different colors and painful to touch and had a blood blister which wasnt painful and has burst. Blister is healing and isnt causing pain.
The color is almost back to normal and the swelling went down quite a lot. The problem is the "egg" lump that has stayed the same. It doesnt hurt when i touch it, it hurts toward the bottom where the swelling evens out. The whole thigh portion of my leg hurts when it is jostled around, but its getting better.
The biggest problem is that it hurts the most when i sit in my saddle. My skin cannot touch it at all, yet i can push the "egg" in with my fingers and push my hand against it like a saddle with little to no pain. Does anyone have any suggestions for what i can do to ride?
Thanks! Sorry for the novel!:cry: im getting cabin fever because i cant ride!

busysmurf 03-28-2013 08:57 PM

It sounds like a hematoma(sp?). There's not really a whole lot you can do about them, just keep icing it. That's all I've ever been able to do when I've had them. The pain is coming from the bruising.

I had to wait for them to disapear before I rode (if they were in a bad spot)

livelovelaughride 03-29-2013 02:01 AM

Physiotherapy can help using ultrasound to disperse the fluid, or a good massage therapist or lymphatic drainage therapist can help it reduce faster. You do want to make it smaller as soon as possible - it could become fibrous tissue - a client experienced this.

hunterjumper1998 03-29-2013 09:29 AM

It is /was a hematoma.
We really cant afford a therapist right now n it seems odd that my grandma is the only one in my huge family not hurtor not needing surgery LOL

DancingArabian 03-29-2013 09:38 AM

You should reconsider not seeing a doctor/therapist about it. It could turn into a big lump of a scar that never goes away.
Posted via Mobile Device

hunterjumper1998 03-29-2013 09:51 AM

Its getting better quickly. Last night i was jumping (on my own 2 feet) and it didnt hurt at all. Swelling is receeding quickly, so is the egg.