The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Automatic fly spray systems? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/automatic-fly-spray-systems-163793/)

tpup 03-28-2013 07:30 AM

Automatic fly spray systems?

I once boarded at a barn that had these. The results were wonderful - it would spray intermittently during the day in summer and killed all the flies. The barn was fly-free. The flies were absolutely horrible here last summer in my current barn and we used everything...strips, fly predators and gallons and gallons of fly spray. It will be $1400 to have the system put in my barn. Any feedback or opinions?? Worth it or not? The chemical aspect of it bothers me, but so do the flies!

wetrain17 03-28-2013 11:23 AM

The barn where I board at has someone come in twice in the warm season and spray for flies, spiders, etc. They do take out all water and feed buckets before hand. It makes a huge difference.

Ive only seen the small auto fly sprayer that hang on the wall. Don't know too much about them to get a good or bad review.

KylieHuitema 03-28-2013 12:16 PM

They sound amazing ._o

SullysRider 03-28-2013 07:18 PM

The barn I board at has one, other local barns are swarmed with flies already (thank you TX weather!) and there's none at mine. And no scraping bot fly eggs off this year :)

Taffy Clayton 03-28-2013 07:29 PM

I have had ours for about 25 years I love it. It is adjustable so you can run it less in the spring and fall and more in the summer. I know in one day if it is malfunctioning.
It doesn't break very often either, I think I have replaced the pump and a few nozzles in 25 years. You do have to know how to close it in the winter if you freeze, it needs to have mineral oil pumped in it for the winter.
Some boarding barns around here charge extra $$ during the summer to pay for the spray.

stevenson 03-28-2013 07:39 PM

be sure the spray and mist is away from feed and waterers. i was considering something,but i would have to redo the mist lines. \Have you tried the fly predators ? more natural way, i hear good and bad about them. I got a free sample but the weather got nasty , odd cold storm passed through, so i think they died.

Robert01 03-17-2014 12:53 PM

DIY fly system

I was searching for info on an automatic fly spray system and found this old thread and just wanted to offer some info. We're do it yourselfers and found that these systems are really quite easy to install in a horse barn.
We have a nine stall barn and had a complete unit installed within a Saturday afternoon from start to finish. We bought it from Greenwood Equine Equipment and they were extremely helpful in helping us design the layout and making sure we had everything to get the system up and running.
By doing it ourselves we saved a ton vs. having someone do it for us. Just wanted to pass this on to anyone interested in these systems.

jaydee 03-17-2014 01:13 PM

We just have the small individual automatic sprayers that are battery operated - we only have a 5 horse barn so they work well - one in each stall - about $35 for the dispenser and first canister which lasts quite a long time
I don't like the air in there to be too full of chemicals so I also hang the sticky poles around and they attract insects to them really well

horselovinguy 03-17-2014 07:21 PM

I use the automatic small fly spray machines that jaydee speaks of.
Besides in the barn I have one in the house garage and another outside on my back porch/deck...
No flies, no mosquitoes or bugs of any kind entering my home from the most heavily used entrances. A can of repellant lasts 30 days with a very often blast of spray.. mine can be time & application adjusted if I want... that would allow a longer time for each can to last,... but the "no bugs" in the house is great.

My horses benefit from the sprayers too. My upper stalls dividers are bars so the air circulation is better. I have 3 sprayers currently... 1 on the back wall centered between my 3 stalls and then on the pole barn posts in the "aisle" facing toward the stalls I have 2 more sprayers...my entire barn is covered. My horses come and "visit" many days when the flies are treacherous...no feasting on them under their...outside when we ride...fly spray applied is a must!!

There are many scents available for this type of machine...works off of 2 "D" cell batteries...

Now that I have them, I wonder how I did without them...:wink:

Darrin 03-18-2014 11:35 AM

After reading about how some people have developed problems from long term exposure to these chemicals I wouldn't use them myself. I've seen fly predators in action and would use them instead.
Posted via Mobile Device